May 26, 2014 | by  | in Food Online Only Opinion |

Take 5 for Students: Go Bang Bangers

Go Bang Bangers:
Sausages, peanut butter, sweet chili sauce, sesame oil, coconut milk

I love the name of this recipe. I can’t quite recall its origins, but it has attitude and I like that. I have long wanted to put together recipes for students like my own children. Often they will call me from the supermarket, when it is their turn to cook for their flatmates – and I have had to come up with something impromptu. So now I’m going to put one of these great, affordable recipes on my blog each week. Do pass this on or let any students in need know what we have to offer.

I made this recipe last night to take a photo of it, and my son (a university student, no less) said, “What is this great sauce?!” – or words to that effect. I happily told him it was the first Take 5 on a Shoestring for Students recipe, and that he’ll find a new one on my blog each week. The recipes will eventually be turned into a cookbook for students (if you want to be contacted when the book is ready, just email ‘Take 5 SS’ to margotdecotesworth@gmail.com).

Cook the best sausages you can find.

Bangers before the bang!

I put them in the oven – seems less messy than on the stove top, but that’s up to you. You may even be thinking barbecue and that’s good.

In the meantime, for the sauce you’ll need:

• 250g(9oz) peanut butter

• 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce (or if you don’t have that, use tomato or barbecue sauce)

• 2 tablespoons of sesame oil (this oil is transformational so don’t hesitate to buy it – it will last for quite a while and make any salad taste like you know what you’re about)

• 1 can coconut milk

Put all the sauce ingredients in a pot, and allow to bubble for a few minutes while you stir it about. Serve on top of the sausages.

You could cook rice, pasta or potatoes to go with this. Or, as I did, simmer a couple of cans of white beans for a few minutes in a splash of olive oil and a squished clove of garlic. I then added carrots and zucchini to the pan I baked the sausages in (both cut lengthwise in quarters). For simplicity – which is what we are all about here – I’m a big believer in putting everything possible in one dish to roast.

This is a versatile sauce. You could use it as a dip, even. Or you could sauté cubed pieces of chicken breast in an oiled hot pan to brown them – add the meat to the sauce and simmer till cooked, then serve on rice. Try this recipe and let us know what you think.

Happy Cooking!

– Margôt de Cotesworth

Take 5 and Cook: cooking fabulous food with just 5 ingredients. Read our blog for more free recipes.

10. International Queer in Review