May 11, 2014 | by  | in Arts Music |

Taste Nasa – No Questions Asked EP

I first heard of Taste Nasa the way one often hears of most New Zealand artists – via a text from a friend, normally along the lines of: “Hey a m8 of mine is playing a gig at [insert tiny bar here] and I need someone to go with. They’re really good I promise!”

I obliged. Mostly because another producer I love was playing and the gig was sponsored by Red Bull.  I got free entry and a free drink, my friend never even made it. Boy did she miss out.

As far as I can tell by his Red Bull profile, Taste Nasa is the brainchild of Leroy Clampitt from Pirongia. Summery NZ feel-goodness permeates his EP, a tiny body of work only four songs long. Every song is quality and single-worthy, however, and it only leaves you wanting more. The yacht-rock influences are heavy, but with so much more disco and funk going on. The entire EP is flawless, from the dulcet piano melodies of ‘Night Guy’ to the bass lines of ‘No Ordinary Touch’.

It’s New Zealand music that actually sounds like it came from someone who knew what they were doing, and I really have so much confidence, if this EP and the commercial sponsorship are anything to go by, that Taste Nasa will last for longer than just a summer.

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this