THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH

NZUSA and VUWSA have criticised the lack of financial support available to Wellington students, despite ever-increasing rents.

Research released by the NZUSA reveals that current levels of governmental financial support are leaving students struggling to cope with rising rental costs, causing calls for restrictions on governmental allowances to be raised.

Student Allowances do have an accommodation supplement, but this differs from that set aside for other low-income New Zealanders. In contrast to the Accommodation Supplement (which is not available to students) which provides up to $145 a week, housing support for students is restricted to a maximum of $40 per week, or $60 for single parents.

NZUSA President Daniel Haines said that this disparity was unfair and a dissuasion from studying.

“The fact is, every other low-income New Zealander qualifies for rent assistance based on the cost of their rent; students don’t.”

VUWSA President Sonya Clark said: “It seems crazy that students in Dunedin and students in Wellington get the same amount of support for accommodation costs – when flats in North Dunedin are on average around $100 a room, compared to the rents in Wellington upwards of 160 a week.”

“The system needs a good overhaul so that students in Wellington are adequately supported through their study.”

Earlier this year, the Minister for Tertiary Education Steven Joyce refuted claims that current levels of governmental support were insufficient, saying that the system in place is “one of the most generous support systems in the world”.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties