May 18, 2014 | by  | in Arts Music |

YR BOI BANGS [Gig Review]

3.5 stars

Bangs is shit. His rapping is as ferocious as a Bichon Frisé, his rhymes as deep as a puddle of vomit. His millions of YouTube hits are evidence only of hipsterdom’s thirst for irony. At least, that’s what I assumed as I waited for his concert to begin, not quite sure why 130 of us had packed into Puppies at $20 a pop.

The opener was ABRZY Rahman, apparently booked because he knew the promoter from high school. This was his first gig. Expectations were low. But he was actually kinda good. Rough, definitely – his rhymes sometimes slipping off their beat or going quiet completely when his mic left his lips. But his tracks were well-composed and he had the energy to pull them off. I muttered to a mate that ABRZY might be showing up the main act, not joking as much as I’d have liked.

But the crowd hadn’t come for ABRZY, and at the end of his set he had us chanting for Bangs. Who, soon enough, was pushing through the crowd, mounting the stage. The chanting quelled. The music began.

And, quite quickly, the gig felt very normal. There was the squeeze of bopping bodies, the shuffling for a better view – even the obligatory whiff of a sneaky J. People knew the words. The lyrics were still naff but, shouting them out with a hundred other fans, that didn’t really matter. It wasn’t just the lack of the cheesy music video or the sound engineer who actually knew what he was doing. If the good time was ironic I didn’t notice. People were here for Bangs, and Bangs knew how to deliver.

Bangs is not the most technically proficient rapper I’ve seen, nor the one with the best-produced tracks. But when he closed the concert with ‘Take U to Da Movies’ his fans went wild. When it comes to doing what he does, Bangs may be the best in the world.

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan