Campus Digest

Victoria Physics student Merlijn Führhop could be one of the first people to go to Mars, after he got through to the second round of the Mars One astronaut selection process. There was an original pool of over 200,000 applicants, which was whittled down to 418 men and 287 women, who will next be interviewed by the selection committee. Mars One is a Netherlands-based organisation aiming to establish a permanent human settlement on the planet by 2025, starting with four people. Every two years after that, new people will join the endeavour. Astronauts undergo eight years of training, including isolation from the world in groups of four to simulate the environment and experience on Mars.

Four former Victoria students have won first place in the 76th Annual International Barbershop Singing Convention in Las Vegas. The Musical Island Boys (Matthew Gifford, Jeff and Will Hunkin and Marcellus Washburn) sang ‘Now Is The Hour’ and ‘Hakuna Matata’ in the finals of the tournament, which attracts audiences of up to 17,000. The quartet got together while they were at Tawa College in 2002, and have won many awards on the international stage.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this