July 13, 2014 | by  | in Arts Music |

Eight songs you missed over the break

In the decades since the last issue of Salient, some songs have come out.

FKA Twigs – ‘Two Weeks’
The artist formerly known as Twigs has gone through more than just a name change. ‘Two Weeks’ is a revelation – a near-perfect R&B song, full of tension, release, and elegant longing. Not that this isn’t a song about sex. Also, she’s plays a gigantic goddess in the one-long-take video; you should probably watch it.

COOL RUNNINGS – ‘BLISTER’
A 2:53 romp, the most fun I’ve had listening to a New Zealand punkish band in years, and it’s from an EP called I HATE IT HERE. True. Buy or callously steal the EP on Bandcamp.

Hundred Waters – ‘Murmurs’
Purity Ring with less fluids, despite the name. Also, less body horror. There’s a whole set of lyrics, but the one stuttering line that begins the song, “I wish you could see what I see”, is the one that stands out, especially when it’s flipped somewhere near the end, breaking out of the mix like a drowning man.

Cable – ‘One Thing’ (One Direction cover)
So yes, you can’t improve on a classic, but this fuzzy cover comes pretty close. Best of all, it doesn’t feel like she’s mocking the original, although she clearly can’t hit the notes those boys can.

Grimes – ‘GO’
Grimes originally wrote this song for Rihanna, and while it’s hard to imagine Rih dreamily waltzing through the verses like Grimes does, the horn-filled chorus feels tailor-made. On first listen it doesn’t sound like a Grimes song at all, but on each replay you notice more of her signature tics, even if you can make out every lyric now.

The Weeknd – ‘Often’
Not The Weeknd’s best song, but better than 90 per cent of the songs on his disappointing sophomore effort. Why? He’s back to singing throughout the whole song, in a lower register, and is plenty menacing. The songwriting is a bit lazy, with a simple-but-catchy chorus that he sings just one time too many, but this is still a Weeknd song that sounds like The Weeknd again.

Death Grips – ‘Voila’
Death Grips have now broken up, after four years of exciting internet music nerds more than a new Needle Drop review. Before they go, they’re releasing a two-part album called The Powers That B. This track from the first half is full of stuttering drums, raspy rants, and supposedly features a Bjork sample.
By HENRY COOKE

Sweet Apple – “Wish You Could Stay (A Little Longer)

This song is really great. Its got J Mascis, Mark Lanegan and a bunch of other guys playing fuzzy pop–punk like it’s still the early 90s. Prepare for some sweet melodies and badass soloing to wash your apathy away.
By JESSE ARMSTRONG–KONY