July 13, 2014 | by  | in Arts Music |

Eight songs you missed over the break

In the decades since the last issue of Salient, some songs have come out.

FKA Twigs – ‘Two Weeks’
The artist formerly known as Twigs has gone through more than just a name change. ‘Two Weeks’ is a revelation – a near-perfect R&B song, full of tension, release, and elegant longing. Not that this isn’t a song about sex. Also, she’s plays a gigantic goddess in the one-long-take video; you should probably watch it.

A 2:53 romp, the most fun I’ve had listening to a New Zealand punkish band in years, and it’s from an EP called I HATE IT HERE. True. Buy or callously steal the EP on Bandcamp.

Hundred Waters – ‘Murmurs’
Purity Ring with less fluids, despite the name. Also, less body horror. There’s a whole set of lyrics, but the one stuttering line that begins the song, “I wish you could see what I see”, is the one that stands out, especially when it’s flipped somewhere near the end, breaking out of the mix like a drowning man.

Cable – ‘One Thing’ (One Direction cover)
So yes, you can’t improve on a classic, but this fuzzy cover comes pretty close. Best of all, it doesn’t feel like she’s mocking the original, although she clearly can’t hit the notes those boys can.

Grimes – ‘GO’
Grimes originally wrote this song for Rihanna, and while it’s hard to imagine Rih dreamily waltzing through the verses like Grimes does, the horn-filled chorus feels tailor-made. On first listen it doesn’t sound like a Grimes song at all, but on each replay you notice more of her signature tics, even if you can make out every lyric now.

The Weeknd – ‘Often’
Not The Weeknd’s best song, but better than 90 per cent of the songs on his disappointing sophomore effort. Why? He’s back to singing throughout the whole song, in a lower register, and is plenty menacing. The songwriting is a bit lazy, with a simple-but-catchy chorus that he sings just one time too many, but this is still a Weeknd song that sounds like The Weeknd again.

Death Grips – ‘Voila’
Death Grips have now broken up, after four years of exciting internet music nerds more than a new Needle Drop review. Before they go, they’re releasing a two-part album called The Powers That B. This track from the first half is full of stuttering drums, raspy rants, and supposedly features a Bjork sample.

Sweet Apple – “Wish You Could Stay (A Little Longer)

This song is really great. Its got J Mascis, Mark Lanegan and a bunch of other guys playing fuzzy pop–punk like it’s still the early 90s. Prepare for some sweet melodies and badass soloing to wash your apathy away.

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America