July 13, 2014 | by  | in Opinion VUWSA |

Exec Column

Welcome back to Wellington and welcome back to Vic! It’s bizarre to think that half a year has passed and it’s Re-O Week again; great job all round for making it this far. We’re pretty stoked about this week for a number of reasons:

1. Campus is a totally bleak empty husk when all the students are gone, which has made for a pretty dire time these past few weeks in the office, though we took solace in the complete disappearance of lines for coffee at Vic Books. But anyway, we’re bloody stoked that you’re back!

2. There’s a whole new set of students joining us at Vic and a whole set returning refreshed and ready for another round of courses.

3. We get to give you heaps of free stuff and have a cool fun time while doing it! Check out our Facebook page for details on the Giveaway Days we’re hosting on Monday and Thursday. I can confirm that Cookie Time, V and barbecues all have something to do with it, and that snacking is a positive move 100 per cent of the time.

4. The clubs showcases happening on Tuesday and Wednesday at 11 in the Hub, where we’ll get to see a bunch of students who are skilled and talented show us their skills and talents and give us an opportunity to get skilled and talented alongside them.

5. Friday’s Winter Market in the Hub featuring crafts, art stuff, and prices that are doable without dipping into any remaining course-related costs.

6. BANDS! MAWSA! GIGS! Arguably, the best part of Re-O Week is the opportunity to catch up with buddies from last semester, or solidify weird half-friendships with people in your tuts whose names you can’t really remember at shows. VUWSA and MAWSA are teaming up again to give you a radical lineup of New Zealand and international acts playing around the city this week. Head to our office or the internet to find out more; we’ll see you there.

It’s going to be a really good week, so go out and get involved! If there is anything that VUWSA believes in, it’s the power of students to do an incredibly diverse range of amazing things. We really hope you tap into that this semester, whether it’s your first or your last. We believe in you! Do the thing!

Thanks guys!

Madeleine Ashton-Martyn
Equity Officer
M: 027 4617 999
DDI: (04) 463 7406
E:  Madeleine.Ashton-Martyn@vuw.ac.nz | equity@vuwsa.org.nz

1