July 28, 2014 | by  | in Opinion VUWSA |

Exec Column

5 Reasons to run in the VUWSA Election

1. If you do win, you’ll get to solve student problems alongside a fabulous team of enthusiastic students and staff.

2. The work you’ll do in your VUWSA role can have a lasting impact on the student experience.

3. You get to wear green VUWSA shirts! Contrary to Kermit the Frog’s ballad, it certainly is easy being green when you’re green with gusto!

4. In terms of experience, you’ll gain valuable communication and administration skills and you’ll run awesome events for Vic students.

5. Even if you don’t win, the experience and confidence gained from running your campaign will stay with you for life, and you’ll have a greater insight into the issues that students face on a daily basis.

Nominations for 2015 VUWSA positions open this week. Pick up a Nomination Form from the VUWSA Kelburn Office. If you’ve ever thought about how the student experience could be improved and you feel driven to make a difference, you should definitely run for a position. The VUWSA Executive is a place for passionate students who are keen to dedicate their time to brightening student life.

To get an idea of what VUWSA life is like, check out http://vuwsa.org.nz/representation/executive/ and scope out the Work Reports, which detail the tasks we’ve individually been working on this year.

5 Pieces of Art that I love (in keeping with this week’s theme)

1. Orange is the New Black. Proves that everyone has a truly interesting story to tell, not just privileged white people.

2. The Intouchables. Proves that all you need to find happiness is a sense of humour, a good friend, and some creativity with your shaving cream.

3. HBO’s Girls. Proves that protagonists don’t need to do nice things to be likeable, and that Lena Dunham is never afraid to get naked.

4. The Good, The Bad, The Weird. Proves that South Koreans can make hilarious Westerns.

5. Those gosh-darn green VUWSA shirts! They’re just so green.