July 20, 2014 | by  | in Food Opinion |

Homemade hash browns with smashed peas and poached eggs

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: brunch is a great meal. It’s also expensive to go out for brunch – just as expensive as a dinner meal in many instances, except without the possibility of bringing your own bottle of wine. This is an easy brunch to make that will impress your other half/flatmate on a hungover Sunday morning.

Homemade hash browns:
2 potatoes, finely grated (I used the finest cut on the grater, and Agria spuds)
1 egg
Pinch each of thyme, dried basil, sage
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
4 tablespoons flour

Smashed peas:
1 cup frozen peas
2 tablespoons goat feta
2 tablespoons cream cheese

Method:
Once the potatoes are grated, get rid of any excess moisture by pressing the mix in either a clean tea towel or a paper towel. Repeat this a couple of times until the potatoes clump together and the towel isn’t getting any wetter. Put the potato into a medium-sized bowl.

Lightly beat the egg and add the herbs, chopped garlic and salt and pepper. Mix this into the potatoes, stirring well. Add the flour, one tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is dry enough that you could form hash browns for frying but not so dry that you feel you could roll it in your hands. Avoid adding too much flour as the hash browns will only go glue-like.

Use a spoon to put the mix into a heated frying pan. Make the hash browns as thick/thin and big/small as you desire, but remember that thicker ones take longer to cook. Fry the hash browns one or two at a time in oil, or butter if you’re feeling truly decadent. Avoid crowding the pan, so only cook one or two at a time, dependent on how big you make them. Cook for 2–4 minutes on each side, until golden and crispy.

If you make your hash browns thick like I do, put them in the oven for 10–15 minutes at 180°C so the potato is cooked the whole way through.

Smashed peas:
Cook the peas until just done, then mash with the feta and cream cheese.

Serve the hash browns with the pea smash spread on top, then add a poached egg, some salt and pepper, and a sprinkling of fresh basil leaves.

1