LitCrawl in San Francisco attracts nearly 10,000 people and is celebrating its tenth anniversary this year. LitCrawl in Wellington is celebrating its first birthday, which is going to be epic.
July 9, 2014 | by  | in Arts |

LitCrawl comes to Wellington

On Saturday 15 November 2014, LitCrawl is going to take over Wellington’s CBD. While LitCrawl is a regular must-do event in cities like San Francisco, LitCrawl Wellington will be the first of its kind to hit New Zealand. It all happens over one fast-paced evening: poets, novelists, professors, comedians, presenters, actors, journalists and musicians all perform the written word across a series of sessions, in Wellington’s bars, cafés, galleries and bookshops. We spoke to organisers Claire Mabey and Andrew Laking, who told us more …

How does it work?

There will be LitCrawl maps that tell you about each LitCrawl session and where and when each one will be over the evening.

There are three phases of LitCrawl – one phase per hour for three hours starting at 6 pm. Each phase has a number of sessions, so you have to choose which ones to go to. You could say that LitCrawl takes the traditional pub crawl and transforms it into an exciting way to encounter words off the page and in performance mode.  LitCrawl is like a literary mission – you have to pick your path… (The maps will be available around town and on the LitCrawl website www.litcrawl.co.nz closer to the time.)

Where does LitCrawl happen?

In your favourite bars, cafés, galleries and bookshops in Wellington. Meow, The Embassy, Young Gallery, Six Barrel Soda, Arty Bees, The Laundry, Hashigo Zake…  just some of the places you’ll be at for LitCrawl 2014.

We do have some secrets and surprises for LitCrawlers, which will be announced later; we’d definitely advise keeping Sunday 16 November (night) free too…

Do we have to buy tickets?

Nope! LitCrawl is free with entry by koha. Just turn up on Saturday 15 November at your first LitCrawl session… make sure you’re a bit early so you can get yourself a good seat and a drink.

Can you tell us what we might expect to see in the LitCrawl programme?

It’s a secret until we launch the full programme with the map and some ideas to help plan your LitCrawl path… but we can tell you that there will be New Zealand’s top writers (ones you’ll know, and exciting new voices, too) from a swathe of genres… there will also be musicians, one session involves total darkness, and one will involve cocktails named after authors.

Where can we find out more and keep up with the developments?

Go to our website www.litcrawl.co.nz and sign up to LitCrawl news. There are a few big announcements on the way – one of which will be the LitCrawl launch date! Everyone who gets our E-news will get extra news and clues too.
The website will grow as we go and it’s where we’ll have digital versions of the programme and map for you to download and send to your friends so you can start planning. We’ll also share links and stories from our friends, partners, and the awesome sponsors who are all helping us out with LitCrawl 2014.

We’re also on Twitter @tweetlitcrawl.
We also love mail, real mail. Soon there will be LitCrawl Bottles in venues around town where you can post notes to us. Anything you like so long as it’s pen/pencil on paper. So look out for the LitCrawl Message in a Bottle bottles from about late August… (thanks Six Barrel Soda for the bottles!)

Are there any opportunities to be involved in LitCrawl?

Yes! We need volunteers to help keep things running smoothly on the night – it’s a great way to be part of a very cool crew of people. Just go to our website and flick us an email – it’s always great to hear from people who want to work with us.

LitCrawl 2014 | www.litcrawl.co.nz | info@litcrawl.co.nz | @tweetlitcrawl