July 13, 2014 | by  | in Opinion Shirt and Sweet |

Shirt and Sweet

Kanye once said that if you are a fan of Kanye West, you are not a fan of him; you are a fan of yourself. Kanye, for all his shortcomings and unexpected influences on our society, is someone who we can look to for guidance on how to continue on our journey towards cuteness and shirtiness. As things stand, among 18–24-year-olds, there are plenty of things for us to believe in. Whether it’s $8 wine, Communism and blind worship of celebrity, or irony, apathy and the tooth fairy, there is always something for us to put our time, money and drunken conversation into. However, in the midst of this pastiche of a world, it’s easy to dismiss self-help books and never really position your own existence as something to believe in. This brings tears to my eyes. Together, I think that we can combat this. Here follows:

How to believe in yourself more than other people

Part of why this is so important is that you shouldn’t believe in other people at all because you have no way to empirically prove their existence anyway and all you can be sure of is your own existence. Secondly, if you assume that everyone follows this logic, then no one else believes in you and so you have to do it yourself.

A big part of expressing and affirming your self-belief is to have a cute and shirty mantra. Some possibilities include:

• Not ALL men… oh no wait… no…FUCK that mantra.
  • I would bang me.
  • Positive, powerful life choices.
  • I will not peak until at least 23; I have time.
  • Bite. Bite hard and fast.
  • I am going to do dope things.

Another important part of self-belief is indulgence. There are a number of ways to convey self-indulgence. One of these ways is to be a brunch enabler. Whenever a possibility of having brunch arises, push it as an option. This will make people understand that you don’t give a fuck what anyone thinks: you will not let that get in the way of you enjoying a good thing. Indulgence largely consists of enjoying good things, so if the possibility of brunch does not arise as frequently as you would like, simply enjoy other things. Good places to find indulgence are streaming sites, the fridge, and Dixon St Liquor, particularly when you also have assignments due. This kind of indulgence allows you to reconnect with your own value and this can then be converted into self-belief. But really, all you need to do is believe in Kanye, because Kanye is you.

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June