July 28, 2014 | by  | in Food Opinion |

Take 5 for Students: Southern Fried Chicken

Eggs, chili sauce, self-rising flour, chicken, oil.

Here is a fabulous way to feed quite a few people with very inexpensive chicken niblets (basically the wings). I used this for a party recently and everyone was very happy, even though they never actually saw a great deal of chicken meat.

In a bowl, whisk 3 eggs with ¼ cup sweet or hot chili sauce (or even barbecue sauce), and a tablespoon of water. In another bowl, put in a cup of self-rising flour (you may need to add more later). Add salt and pepper to the flour and mix it about.

Tip the chicken niblets into the egg and stir to coat, then toss them into the flour. Deep fry in oil for about 10-15 minutes.

Be sure to take a piece out and check that it is cooked through to the bone before you serve.

Notes about deep frying:

Use a deep, heavy pot so as to allow for the oil to bubble up quite a bit. I often use soy or canola oil. Don’t leave the oil once you have turned it on – only crazy people leave the scene at this point in time. When you take the chicken bits out, drain them on paper towels or in a metal sieve. Watch the temperature of the oil – it should be hot enough to prevent excessive absorption, but not so hot that the coating gets too dark before the inside is cooked.

You may never visit the Colonel again!

– Margôt de Cotesworth

Take 5 and Cook: cooking fabulous food with just 5 ingredients. Read our blog for more free recipes

1. Buying a Prius and solar panels for my summer bach because climate change xo
  2. VUWSA AGM: Election Results, A Cheeky Deficit, and Constitutional Stuff
  3. School Strike for Climate Staying Hot in Fight Against Global Warming
  4. Toitū te Ao: A Week of Celebrating a Better Future
  5. Government Announces New Mental Health Policies
  6. Are You There Youths? It’s me, people who want to be your mayor
  7. VUW Launches Plan to be Carbon Neutral by 2030
  8. Canta Editor Calling For Editorial Independence
  9. Issue 22 – Eve
  10. Dear Nathaniel