July 13, 2014 | by  | in Food Opinion |

The Sweet Scoop – Gluten-Free Peanut-Butter Brownie

I don’t know if you’re like me, but I find that gluten-free baking is often really underwhelming. Delicious-looking, but often strangely textured. I also find it really overwhelming (I’m not sure what this balances out to; just whelming, maybe?), in the sense that it seems difficult to make. Such long ingredient lists, combined with that lingering fear that maybe it is Entirely the Wrong Texture and Actually Going to Turn Out Like Bathroom Cleaning Cubes.

Luckily, there are gluten-free recipes out there that are both delicious and not difficult. Even if you don’t eat gluten-free yourself (I don’t), you probably know someone who does. So I asked my friend Elsie to share her truly amazing gluten-free brownie recipe. Most people who eat this say it’s the best brownie they’ve ever had, and believe me when I tell you that you won’t even notice the lack of wheat flour. It’s fudgy and rich and so buttery and chocolatey. Everything a good brownie should be. You can always replace the flour mix (including xanthan gum) given here with a premixed gluten-free baking flour. And if you aren’t gluten-free, just substitute the flour mix for ordinary flour.

Gluten-Free Peanut-Butter Brownie

200 g butter
115 g dark chocolate
2 eggs
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
50 g brown rice flour
15 g tapioca flour
15 g potato flour
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
4 tablespoons peanut butter

Preheat the oven to 175 ºC. Melt the butter and chocolate together over boiling water until smooth and glossy, then leave to cool. Once room temperature, beat in the sugar, then the eggs and vanilla essence. Mix all the dry ingredients together, and slowly mix in the chocolate mixture. Pour into a greased 9-inch square baking tin. Smear and swirl the peanut butter over the top of the batter, then bake for 25 minutes.

1. Issue 09 Volume 81: Tight Ass Content
  2. Old Fashioned Scones
  4. Synthpop with Virtual Vice & Hybrid Rose
  6. Ask the Advocate
  8. Tutorial Derailed by Man Who “Just Wants to Follow on From That”
  9. A Tight Contest for Loose Forwards
  10. This is Not a Music Review