Vic Team Goes on Trivial Pursuit

The VUW University Challenge team went to Invercargill to compete in the tournament over the mid-year break.

The show ran previously from 1976 to 1989, until it was cancelled. Cue TV revived the show, with this year being the first time the competition has been run in 25 years.

Eight universities sent teams to compete, with 31 episodes filmed from 1–5 July.

The team members – Rachel Wilcox (the captain), Nick Fargher, Viveka Nylund, Isaac Harris and Jordan McCluskey – were selected from over 20 Victoria students after scoring well in the trial test. The team has signed confidentiality agreements with Cue TV which prevents them from revealing who won the tournament until the show screens later this year.

McCluskey said that the questions asked were “as incredibly varied as the subjects available to study at university, though, in the University Challenge tradition, Shakespeare featured heavily.”

“Filming took place in a local TV studio, and when your game was on, the students from all the other teams came to watch, leading to a great sense of camaraderie.”

Producer Sheree Carey said they were in negotiations, but had not yet made a decision over who would broadcast the show.

Victoria last won University Challenge in 1983.

1