What VUWSA has been up to over the break

– Fairer Fares: VUWSA made progress on Fairer Fares over the break. VUWSA attended a Greater Wellington Regional Council meeting on 11 June along with a giant bus made in postcards written by students in support of fairer fares. The Council passed a motion to conditionally approve a 25 per cent on-peak discount for students, provisional on funding from the Wellington City Council and the University.

– Strategic-planning process: VUWSA began the strategic-planning process with a two-day workshop involving the VUWSA Executive last Wednesday and Thursday. This will be followed up with surveying students and research into how students experience VUWSA. This strategic planning will shape the next five years of VUWSA action. See President Sonya’s column for her take on the process so far.

– University Council: The Council voted to approve the Student Representation Review, which included recognising VUWSA as the ‘primary representative body’ of students. After the introduction of VSM, this had been changed to the now-defunct Student Forum. The University is also undergoing strategic planning, in which VUWSA is pushing to include “number-one student experience” as a priority goal.

– On Monday 21 July at 5 pm, the Vice-Chancellor is presenting to student representatives on the strategic plan.

– Safety campaign: VUWSA presented to the University about safety messages they would recommend putting out to students, as the University is creating a new safety campaign following recent assaults around campus. President Sonya Clark and Equity Officer Madeline Ashton-Martyn worked with the Women’s Group to create a presentation which looked at different assault campaigns. Clark said the presentation was “received really well by the University”, and Ashton-Martyn will meet with Student Health to talk about the implementation of the ‘Are You That Someone’ campaign.

– VUWSA election: The Election Committee has been chosen (Amanda Hill, Bridie Hood, Max Hardy), and the election will be in Week 5 or Week 6. The position of Returning Officer has been advertised on SJS, and the University has confirmed all Victoria students will be eligible to vote in the election, even those who are not members of VUWSA. VUWSA is still working towards combining the VUWSA and University Council elections.

– VUWSA General Manager, Mark Maguire, has resigned from the role after five years at the helm. He will finish on 25 July. VUWSA is currently recruiting an interim General Manager and is placed to have someone in the position when Maguire finishes. There will be a recruitment process for a permanent GM to be in place by the end of the year.

– Re-Orientation Week is happening this week and the next. VUWSA is running night events, partnering with MAWSA, and day stuff on campus, including an arts/crafts market in the Hub on Friday.