August 3, 2014 | by  | in Food Opinion |

Take 5 for Students: Beef Stroganoff

Pasta, beef schnitzel, mushroom, Worcestershire sauce, sour cream.

This is a very simple version of a classic dish from way back before we were all born… It requires tagliatelle pasta, sour cream, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce and beef schnitzel.

Put the pasta on to boil in lots of salted water. Slice the schnitzel thinly into ribbons. Allow about a half a cup per person (just use the eye ball method, which is to look and guestimate). Slice mushrooms and, again, allow about half a cup sliced mushrooms per person. Sauté the mushrooms in a splash of olive oil.

image01

Add the beef and cook briefly on high heat till the meat is just cooked. Add a splash or two of Worcestershire sauce, and about 2 tablespoons of sour cream per person. Taste and season. Serve on top of the hot pasta.

image00

Traditionally, this meal would begin with shrimp cocktails and finish with chocolate mousse –  that’s the era we are talking about. Beef Stroganoff is good for a dinner party, or just a really quick way to make a little beef go quite a long way.

– Margôt de Cotesworth

Take 5 and Cook: cooking fabulous food with just 5 ingredients. Read our blog for more free recipes