Campus digest

Would you pay for online news? A Victoria survey has found that 18–30-year-olds are the demographic most likely to pay for news as part of a ‘global package’ of news. The survey asked respondents about their willingness to pay for news in different ways – ranging from donations, crowdfunding, buying a mobile app or purchasing individual articles. Packaging was by far the most preferred purchase method. Alex Clark, a Master of Advanced Technology Enterprise student leading the survey, said young people were willing to pay for content – “they’re just fed up with paying for every unit of content individually.”

Victoria has been selected as a key partner in New Zealand’s second National Science Challenge, the Deep South Challenge Te Kōmata o Te Tonga. The Deep South Challenge will look at New Zealand climate conditions and plan for future changes. Funding of $24 million over the next four years will enable the Challenge to focus on issues such as drought, fresh-water availability, damaging storm events, and changes to mean climate and variability. Research into Antarctic sea ice is one example of the science to be undertaken by the Challenge. Scientists will study the growth and decay of Antarctic sea ice to gain a better understanding of its influence on the ocean, and the atmospheric components of the climate system.

Victoria academics are taking part in the Visa Wellington On a Plate Festival, with presentations on the future of food, from stem-cell steak to an emerging breed of male cook. Futurist Dr Ian Yeoman, described by the University as “the world’s only professional crystal ball gazer”, is an Associate Professor at the School of Management. Dr Yeoman is supervising postgraduate students who will present four scenarios on the future of food, including vertical farming and scientifically created food, at ‘2050: The Future of Food Festivals’, a lecture to be held on 18 August at Pipitea Campus. Dr Yeoman will himself argue that a new breed of man – which he dubs the ‘gastro craftsman’ – is emerging, at ‘Why men cook but don’t wash up’, on 27 August at Rutherford House.

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop