August 18, 2014 | by  | in Food Opinion |

Gnocchi with kale pesto, roasted capsicums, goat’s cheese

If I spent less time eating food alone in bed watching Buffy and The Good Wife and more time trying to improve my love life, this could be the date food I’d make. I know I’ve said that about other meals, but this one has it all: impressive-looking, rich and tasty but with on-trend inclusion of kale in the pesto as an added healthy bonus! You could easily replace the kale with basil or parsley, but you’d need to add some nuts (pine nuts/walnuts/almonds) for some substance.

Gnocchi
3 small potatoes (Désirée is best)
1½ cups ‘00’ flour (found at Moore Wilson’s/Mediterranean Food Warehouse)
1 egg
3 tablespoons finely grated parmesan

Kale pesto
1 bunch of kale, blanched in boiling water for 3–4 minutes
¼ cup water
¼ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
¼ cup finely grated parmesan
salt and pepper to taste
juice of half a lemon
2 red capsicums
goat feta

Remove the seeds and white parts from the inside of the capsicum, then roughly slice and spread out over an oiled tray; grind some pepper on and roast at 180 °C until they’re just starting to blacken.

Chop the potatoes and boil in salted water until mash-able. Mash until smooth. Add a lightly beaten egg, stir well. Add the flour and parmesan and stir until combined. The 00 flour makes a huge difference and is only about $2.20 a kilo at Moore Wilson’s – it’s worth investing. The mix should be light and fluffy but not too sticky. Tip out onto a floured surface and shape the dough into gnocchi shape – I roll them into tiny egg shapes and then gently use the prongs of a fork to indent them, but the internet is filled with how-to videos if you want to do it like a professional.

Boil the gnocchi in a shallow pot or pan, with 7–8 cm of water. They won’t take long to cook, only a minute or two.

Blend the blanched kale with the rest of the pesto ingredients. This will make heaps of pesto and you won’t need much, so keep it in the fridge and add it to your toasted sandwiches/dried pasta meals/whatever else you desire.

Toss the gnocchi with some pesto and the capsicums, sprinkle with parmesan and goat feta.

1