He Kōrero Whakamihi

24-year-old Victoria University student Aidan Joblin-Mills has received a $15,000 scholarship. The scholarship was provided by the Rose Hellaby Māori Education Fund, which recognised Joblin-Mills as an “inspirational Māori student and future leader”.

Having previously completed a Graduate Diploma in Cell and Molecular Bioscience and a Bachelor’s degree in Science, Joblin-Mills is currently working towards a Master’s in Biomedical Science, majoring in Cell and Molecular Bioscience and Chemical Genetics.

Through his study, he hopes to give back to his iwi, Ngāti Porou. He said that he wanted to improve quality of living, something particularly close to his heart given that his adoptive grandparents both have cholesterol and cardiovascular conditions.

Joblin-Mills credits his success to his family. After moving from foster home to foster home, he was finally placed into the care of the Joblin-Mills, to who he says he owes “everything I could ever give in this world.”

The managing director of the Guardian Trust described Aiden Joblin-Mills as “a prime example of such talent, and we are privileged to enable him, as well as the other scholarship recipients, to continue to grow and prosper.”

The scholarship is named after Rose Hellaby, whose family owned a large and wealthy meat factory in Auckland. She set up the fund because of a desire to help her Māori employees, many of whom lacked the opportunities to gain higher education. Hellaby also set up funds to help Māori students and industry.

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel