August 10, 2014 | by  | in Food Opinion |

In Review: Little Hanoi

Location: 210A Left Bank, Wellington CBD
Cuisine: Vietnamese
Price: Cheap
BYO: Yes
Rating: 4.5/5

I’m always excited about a trip to Little Hanoi. Not quite as excited as I would be with a trip to non-little Hanoi, but excited nonetheless. Despite being a small and unassuming restaurant at the end of Left Bank (off Cuba Mall), it serves up some of the best Vietnamese food in Wellington.

On the night I went, although it was a freezing cold Tuesday evening, most of the tables were already full. The décor is plain but functional, although I would have preferred the TV attached to one corner to be permanently banished (along with every other restaurant television ever). The service was excellent – fast, friendly and efficient.

I ordered the Pad Thai, and was delighted with it. The portion was extremely generous and the taste was delicious. The tofu pieces were piping-hot and well flavoured, and the noodles had a perfect balance of sweetness, bitterness from the tamarind, and salt from the soy sauce. The peanut garnish added the final touch. I also love the fact that they served chilies as a garnish, allowing you to adjust your own spice level (or frantically move them away from your food if you’re me). I also had a Jackfruit Smoothie, which was very enjoyable – cool, aromatic, and very sweet.

Overall, Little Hanoi offers a great dining experience. Their meals are beautifully presented (many of them plentifully garnished with piles of fresh herbs, nuts and chilies) and taste fantastic. For their prices, you’d struggle to find many better meals in central Wellington.

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June