August 18, 2014 | by  | in Arts Music |

Interview with Georgia Nott of Broods

Nelson duo Broods are blowing up, but you already know that from the Spotify ads. We talked to Georgia Nott ahead of their debut-album release on 22 August. They are also playing a show at James Cabaret that night; come.

Do you have a set song-writing process? Vocals first? Does it change with every song?

I guess it depends on who starts the motion of the song. It can kind of start with anything or everything – we kind of want to experiment a lot because otherwise you get into a routine and songs start sounding the same.

What’s the sibling creative bond like [Broods are a brother–sister duo].

There’s a lot of familiarity – we’ve always been close siblings. It doesn’t seem out of habit, hanging out with each other 24/7, writing songs together and stuff. It’s pretty easy to work together.

How was studying music? Obviously leaving uni for Broods was worth it now, but was it scary at the time?

To be honest I left way before Broods happened.

Ugh, Wikipedia.

Caleb left to pursue this, but I left about three weeks into the semester because I was just… I didn’t like it. It was weird because I was studying music and I, um, I don’t like to follow rules with music, so it was pretty hard to do well or to do anything. [Laughs] I just kept getting things wrong, so, I just, I left and did it how I wanted to.

Seems to have worked out…

It was okay, you know! I don’t regret it now.

‘Bridges’ was huge but it feels like ‘Mother & Father’ is blowing up even more: is this all still quite surreal, or has it been going on long enough to kind of make sense?

Some things feel normal now. Like, we’re kind of used to touring and we kind of have a routine when it comes to travelling and stuff, but at the end of the day, when we think about what’s going – I don’t think that will ever stop being surreal to be honest. Like, this is something that we’ve wanted to do since we were kids, and the fact that it’s not a very *sensible* career path. To put all your eggs in one basket, like I did at least, I just… I think we were playing a show in Sydney and halfway through the set I’m just like: “Oh my God, I’m a singer and that’s what I’ve always wanted to be”. Everything worked out way beyond any expectations that we had.

What’s a Broods show like? Dark?

It’s a lot happier than how it comes across in the music! Our songs on the record sound quite chilled-out: ‘Broody’, I guess. When we play them live it’s a bit more upbeat. It’s hard not to enjoy yourself – it’s hard to look really sad and emotional all the time when you’re on stage cause I’m just having such a blast. I’m usually like jumping around and smiling. I don’t really know how to dance.

What was touring with Haim and Chvrches like?

It was just lovely. The craziest thing when you’re touring with someone you look up to is when they start saying that they like your music. Really? You listen to it? Before we did shows with Chvrches, we found out that Martin, one of the guys in the band, was a huge fan of what we’d put out and we’re just all “Oh my goshhh”. That’s probably the most reassuring thing that you can hear when you’re an artist – that other artists like what you’re doing.

I see you just added an under-18 show in Christchurch, and there’s a lot of discussion around the power that booze has over New Zealand music. Now you’ve done all this overseas touring, do you think too many of our shows are at bars?

It’s a hard situation, because I guess you just can’t have your under-18 bands at such small shows. It’s kind of a shame because when you’re starting out that’s all you can play. There’s a bit of waiting around for everyone underage; someone needs to open a small venue that’s open for everybody.

I won’t ask you about the other famous New Zealand singer right now, but does Joel Little ever discuss his Goodnight Nurse days?

A little bit, he’s got a few stories. He didn’t show us, but we’ve watched some old videos from then; but he more talks about his family, to be honest. That’s his world. His kids are hilarious.

1