August 10, 2014 | by  | in Arts Music |

Lemonade / Hard by SOPHIE [12″ Review]

Oh my God.

SOPHIE is an anonymous ungoogleable producer from somewhere in the United Kingdom, with four officially released tracks to their name. These last two, ‘Lemonade’ and ‘Hard’, were just released together, and dominated my entire weekend. ‘Lemonade’ starts all trappy, stuttering female vocals over a synth that feels like something charging up, before suddenly taking a left turn into sugary K-Pop, then back to trap, then back to K-Pop. It all works far better than it has the right to, even if the lyrics feel like a nursery rhyme meeting a saccharine rom-com speech.

On the other side of the record, ‘Hard’ is more consistently trappy, but there is so much going on here that calling it anything other than ‘electronic’ is silly. There’s female vocals again, and drums that scatter over every region of your headphones, but even at its most chaotic, with walls of sound entering for milliseconds then leaving indefinitely, SOPHIE clearly has it all under control. Unforgettable, and as catchy as music gets.

5/5

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan