August 10, 2014 | by  | in Arts Music |

Lemonade / Hard by SOPHIE [12″ Review]

Oh my God.

SOPHIE is an anonymous ungoogleable producer from somewhere in the United Kingdom, with four officially released tracks to their name. These last two, ‘Lemonade’ and ‘Hard’, were just released together, and dominated my entire weekend. ‘Lemonade’ starts all trappy, stuttering female vocals over a synth that feels like something charging up, before suddenly taking a left turn into sugary K-Pop, then back to trap, then back to K-Pop. It all works far better than it has the right to, even if the lyrics feel like a nursery rhyme meeting a saccharine rom-com speech.

On the other side of the record, ‘Hard’ is more consistently trappy, but there is so much going on here that calling it anything other than ‘electronic’ is silly. There’s female vocals again, and drums that scatter over every region of your headphones, but even at its most chaotic, with walls of sound entering for milliseconds then leaving indefinitely, SOPHIE clearly has it all under control. Unforgettable, and as catchy as music gets.

5/5

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip