August 10, 2014 | by  | in Arts Music |

Peanut Butter Wolf @ Meow [Gig Review]

Chris Manak, better known as Peanut Butter Wolf, is an LA-based hip-hop producer, DJ, and the founder of Stones Throw Records. A few Sundays back, he ripped up the night to an overflowing crowd at Meow. If you’ve never heard of Stones Throw, J Dilla and Madlib were creating albums for them at the height of their game. The label has more recently birthed notable talent such as Mayer Hawthorne and Aloe Blacc. Behind it all is Peanut Butter Wolf.

The night started with two screenings of Our Vinyl Weighs a Ton, a documentary on the history of the label and testament to everything Stones Throw Records is. The atmosphere was fucking dope, the venue packed. Of course, the highlight of the night though was his actual set.

It didn’t matter which decade of music you loved, Wolf had it covered. Spinning ‘90s hip-hop classics to begin with but progressing through The Jackson 5, Prince and James Brown, almost everyone had some kind of tribute. I realised I’d been dancing to Queen’s ‘Another One Bites the Dust’ mixed into at least three other songs for the past ten minutes and had loved every second. Quite the Sunday night.

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop