August 10, 2014 | by  | in Arts Music |

Peanut Butter Wolf @ Meow [Gig Review]

Chris Manak, better known as Peanut Butter Wolf, is an LA-based hip-hop producer, DJ, and the founder of Stones Throw Records. A few Sundays back, he ripped up the night to an overflowing crowd at Meow. If you’ve never heard of Stones Throw, J Dilla and Madlib were creating albums for them at the height of their game. The label has more recently birthed notable talent such as Mayer Hawthorne and Aloe Blacc. Behind it all is Peanut Butter Wolf.

The night started with two screenings of Our Vinyl Weighs a Ton, a documentary on the history of the label and testament to everything Stones Throw Records is. The atmosphere was fucking dope, the venue packed. Of course, the highlight of the night though was his actual set.

It didn’t matter which decade of music you loved, Wolf had it covered. Spinning ‘90s hip-hop classics to begin with but progressing through The Jackson 5, Prince and James Brown, almost everyone had some kind of tribute. I realised I’d been dancing to Queen’s ‘Another One Bites the Dust’ mixed into at least three other songs for the past ten minutes and had loved every second. Quite the Sunday night.

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip