August 10, 2014 | by  | in Arts Music |

Peanut Butter Wolf @ Meow [Gig Review]

Chris Manak, better known as Peanut Butter Wolf, is an LA-based hip-hop producer, DJ, and the founder of Stones Throw Records. A few Sundays back, he ripped up the night to an overflowing crowd at Meow. If you’ve never heard of Stones Throw, J Dilla and Madlib were creating albums for them at the height of their game. The label has more recently birthed notable talent such as Mayer Hawthorne and Aloe Blacc. Behind it all is Peanut Butter Wolf.

The night started with two screenings of Our Vinyl Weighs a Ton, a documentary on the history of the label and testament to everything Stones Throw Records is. The atmosphere was fucking dope, the venue packed. Of course, the highlight of the night though was his actual set.

It didn’t matter which decade of music you loved, Wolf had it covered. Spinning ‘90s hip-hop classics to begin with but progressing through The Jackson 5, Prince and James Brown, almost everyone had some kind of tribute. I realised I’d been dancing to Queen’s ‘Another One Bites the Dust’ mixed into at least three other songs for the past ten minutes and had loved every second. Quite the Sunday night.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t