August 10, 2014 | by  | in Opinion VUWSA |

Sonya Says

Hello! Nominations close on Tuesday at 4.30 for positions on the VUWSA Executive for 2015. If you’re umming and aahing about whether to give it a go, my advice is: do it.

Back in 2012, I first ran for the VUWSA Executive. I still remember how nervous I felt, putting my ballot in the box, checking the noticeboard every day for news of a competitor, and getting up and speaking in front of a crowd. Two years on, I can say that being on VUWSA has been one of the most worthwhile, interesting and challenging experiences of my life.

Here’s why you should run for VUWSA:

1) You get to make things better for students. This can be on the individual right up to the institutional level. If you enjoy working one-on-one with people, you’ll enjoy talking to individual students who want to know the right people to talk to to create something new, or who need support in solving a problem. If you enjoy more systemic change, you’ll enjoy writing submissions or working with the University to address broader issues for students. No matter your skill set, VUWSA requires them all

2) You’ll learn HEAPS. Being on the VUWSA Executive is a governance role, which means the Executive is responsible for setting the strategic direction and budget of the organisation, and ensuring the organisation, including the paid staff, has the resources to realise the vision. Most university students haven’t experienced a governance role before, and learning about governance is is an epic learning experience both personally and for your future employment.

3) It is really flexible – there are recommended hours for the positions (10 for Officers, 20 for Vice-Presidents, and 40 for President), but they can mostly be worked remotely or at the office, and at whatever hours suit your study timetable. You can work on weekends or work late nights, or work mostly during the day. The focus is on what you can achieve with the time you have, and how you can utilise the resources to do good things for students.

4) Finally, you should run because this is a really exciting time for VUWSA.  It is a time of change and rethinking the organisation. Next year’s Executive will have the opportunity to work alongside experts whose job it is to turn average organisations into great ones. This is pretty cool, and really interesting. There will be big decisions to make and lots of things to consider to drive VUWSA into the next era.

What are you waiting for? Go and put in your form by end of Tuesday!

Nomination forms can be found on VUWSA’s Facebook page, website, or at reception on Level 4 of the Student Union Building.

: - SPONSORED - 1). I wish my friends knew that when they ask me what “percentage” of Māori I am—half, quarter, or eighth—they make me feel like a human pie chart. I don’t know how people can ask this so nonchalantly, but they do. So I want to let you know: this is a ver