August 18, 2014 | by  | in Opinion Sports |

Sports Banter

Rory You Are Too Damn Good

When Rory McIlroy won his fourth major, his second-consecutive one, last Monday morning, the world stood up and appreciated this guy for the outstanding golfer he is.

Golf is not something I tend to write too much about, nor do I stay up late at night watching consecutive rounds of it on mySky. However, when the final round of the PGA Championship teed off on Monday morning, I was glued to my TV. Everyone expecting/hoping Rory would claim his second-consecutive major tournament, it was the late charge of youngster Rickie Fowler and old-timer Phil Mickelson that really put golfing fans on the edge of their seats.

While Tiger Woods ended a disappointing week at Valhalla Golf Club by missing the cut at a major for only the fourth time as a professional, McIlroy won his third-consecutive tournament with a dazzling display of shot-making down the closing stretch.

The Northern Irishman overcame a scrappy start to triumph by one stroke after a final-round shootout on a rain-softened layout ended in near darkness, and the superlatives were once again being heaped upon the 25-year-old from Holywood.

His ability to blow away fields, as he did in winning the 2011 US Open and the 2012 PGA Championship by eight shots apiece, or to conjure something extra-special when needed, as he did on the back nine at Valhalla, marked him out as a great.
A spectacular eagle at the par-five 10th, followed by birdies at the 13th and 17th, secured him his third major crown in his last nine starts and left his defeated rivals purring in admiration.

This must now surely see the days of Tiger Woods gone. I have no doubt that Tiger will certainly feature heavily in tournaments over the next few years, but it is now the Rory McIlroy show, and he is certainly grabbing it with both hands.

McIlroy is the one leading the pack, and everyone else is chasing him. Maybe dropping Danish tennis star Caroline Wozniacki was the perfect move from McIlroy, as he has been in career-best form ever since their split. And I’m sure along with this form and the cool $5 million he’s pocketed over the last couple of weeks, meeting ladies will be no issue at all.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t