The Courses of Our Discontent

Sick of compulsory 8 am lectures and two per cent terms assignments? VUWSA is surveying students on mandatory course requirements, which it says are inconsistent and sometimes unrelated to course learning objectives.

The survey is part of a University-wide consultation that might result in the development of a University-wide policy for mandatory course requirements.

The consultation is taking place after a discussion was had at Academic Committee about mandatory course requirements earlier this year.

VUWSA’s Academic Vice-President Rāwinia Thompson said VUWSA believed mandatory course requirements should be closely linked with course learning objectives and achieving learning outcomes.

“We don’t think compulsory attendance at tutorials or lectures always relates to learning outcomes, so attendance at tutorials or lectures shouldn’t necessarily be a mandatory requirement in courses, unless this contact time is specifically linked to learning outcomes,” Thompson said.

“We’ve also seen problems in the inconsistency of mandatory course requirements actually being enforced. Some courses are very lenient and won’t fail a student for not meeting the mandatory course requirements. Others are more rigid. This inconsistency can result in unjust outcomes for students, which is hugely concerning for VUWSA.”

Students can do the survey at here.

VUWSA RECOMMENDATIONS

– The Student Services Levy to increase by 1.5–2 per cent next year.

– The Levy increase to be alongside an increase to the University-wide student-wellbeing campaign.

– Funding for a comprehensive ‘Student Representatives’ online hub to be created, and this to be a priority for early 2015.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t