August 17, 2014 | by  | in Food Online Only Opinion |

Why packet baked is best…

Much as I love them, my friends are a definite negative influence on my spending habits. Their daily takeout practises lead me astray and with the curse of a fortnightly income, I find myself halfway through week 1 and already threadbare, drained dry having bought a brownie (or two) too many.

It is the bane of student existence – never having any cash.

But clever I had a plan. While “studying” (scrolling the net) I came across a 5-star recipe for the ‘best-ever’ chocolate brownie. ‘Uh-huh!’ I cried, certain I had found the solution. For half the cost, I could bake ten times as much, lasting me the entire fortnight.

So I grabbed a mate and to the supermarket we sped, splashing out on the highest quality ingredients (a.k.a ‘Budget’ products) before returning merrily to her flat to bake up some chocolaty goodness.

I’d like to say we followed the recipe to the ‘T’. I’d like to say we had the appropriate kitchen tools to perfect our concoction. I’d like to say distracting flatmate antics didn’t result in the burning of our brownie.

But I can’t.

And they did.

And we ruined it.

And the economic geniuses were 4 eggs, a block of dark chocolate and stick of butter out of pocket.

Now I can’t be alone in my predicament. Students, one and all, feel the economic burden with no plausible solution in sight. How can one do ‘homemade’ in what isn’t a home but an inadequately stocked flat?

Fear not fellow students, for I have the solution. Upon returning to the family household to scavenge through the pantry, I came across a fantastic little box. This box would serve to ease my brownie woes.

Betty Crocker’s Triple Chocolate Fudge.

With the extra egg and maybe quarter cup of oil, the total comes in at under $10. What’s more, the recipe is literally impossible to stuff up. Add the egg and the oil, shove it in the oven and you’re good to go. Whether slightly burnt (tried it), or slightly raw (done that too) it tastes divine.

Nothing beats eating out and mum’s homemade baking is a luxury and a half. But with a meagre student income, an inadequate kitchen and a lack of culinary expertise sometimes you just gotta settle for plan B – plan Betty that is.