September 28, 2014 | by  | in Food Opinion |

Black-and-White Brownie

Full apologies for another brownie recipe. But once you try this, I think you’ll want it in your life as much as I do. Normal brownies are good, but black-and-white brownie is even better. Soft, sweet, chocolate-chip-filled brownie topped with a chewy cheesecake layer? Yes please.

This recipe is very adaptable. If you like your baking on the sweet side, put plenty of icing sugar into the cheesecake topping, while if you don’t, keep it plainer. If you have a favourite brownie recipe, then use that instead of the base I’ve given.

Black-and-White Brownie

140 g butter
Scant 1 cup sugar
2 eggs
¾ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
¾ cup chocolate drops

¾ cup cream cheese
⅔ cup icing sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 egg

Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Cream the butter and sugar, then add eggs and vanilla essence. Mix well, then add dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix cream cheese, icing sugar, flour and egg, and beat until smooth. Pour ¾ of the chocolate mixture into a greased tin, and top with the cream-cheese mix. Drop spoonfuls of the remaining chocolate mixture on top of the cream cheese, scattered across the brownie’s surface. Bake until the cream cheese is slightly golden and the brownie pulls away from the edge of the tin.

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan