September 14, 2014 | by  | in Opinion Sports |

Blowout at the US Open

I’m sitting down to watch the US Open men’s semifinal. It’s my man Roger Federer up against someone who I believe to be Croatian with a last name that is somewhat difficult to pronounce: Marin Čilić.

Ranked 12th in the world, and a generous 12th at that, Čilić was never really much of a chance against the maestro that is Roger Federer, so at this point my bet of $20 on Federer to make the final was looking to be something of a shoe-in. God, why do you let me down like this, Fed?

This semifinal had the outcome that very few predicted. The Fed-Express would be dealt a straight-sets defeat to the big Croatian, and exit the US Open tournament that appeared to be his for the taking.

When Federer was down two sets in his quarterfinal to the dirty Frenchman Gaël Monfils, the 17-time Major champion rallied to claim the next three in dominating fashion. It was at this point that a few more laid bets on Fed to go all the way, because looking at the way he came back against Monfils, not even an in-form Djokovic looked like stopping him.

However, maybe the five-setter was all too much, as the straight-sets defeat would come soon after. So there’s the big shock: Fed gone to a guy who has never even looked like coming close to making a Grand Slam final. So what does this all mean for the former world number-one who used to be, and potentially still is, one of the most feared players on the world tour?

If anything, this may have made a statement to the tennis world in a way that is not so great. Maybe Fed won’t win another Major title. This was his best chance at Flushing Meadows as well. Knowing that if he won his semi, he wouldn’t have to face fierce rival Novak Djokovic in the final; instead, it would be the 16th-ranked Japanese youngster Kei Nishikori.

Maybe Federer was already thinking about facing the Jap in the final, because his mind certainly wasn’t on getting past Marin Čilić in the semi. I hope more than anything that Fed can bag another one or two. I’ve always said that he had another Wimbledon and another hardcourt in him. After what we saw in New York, however, I don’t think I’m the only one who is questioning that now.

Update: Čilić dominated Nishikori in the final in straight sets 6–3 6–3 6–3.

My top five this week is for those of you who, like me, really battle in FIFA. I’d like to think it’s more the teams I’m choosing to play with as opposed to my own ability to actually play the game. In my flat we praise Teece, or Timothy Carnachan. He is the FIFA GOD. Here are the top five teams to use in FIFA:

Top 5 Teams to Use in FIFA

5. Paris Saint-Germain: PSG is a French club that over the past year or so has become a well-respected team in the game. Even though David Beckham retired and no longer plays for them, they still have powerhouse striker Zlatan Ibrahimović. Being a monstrous 6′5″, this man feeds on crosses into the box.

4. Juventus: Juventus is a quick-paced Italian club team that plays in Serie A. They are a great team to pick if you want to try to get fancy with the ball. Not only do the players possess fancy footwork, but they can also drill the ball. This may or may not help your choice in picking them, but their pink-and-black alternate jersey is definitely our favourite in the game.

3. Manchester City: Man City is in the EPL, a great squad with names like Kompany, Agüero, Touré and Silva. There are more stars on this team than you’ll be able to handle. There is no real secret playing with City. They make it easy for you.

2. Real Madrid: Real Madrid is second on our list and earned every bit of it. Madrid is a Spanish club team that plays in La Liga. Not only are they fast, but they have amazing ball control and footwork, and can score from practically anywhere. Their best striker is Cristiano Ronaldo. If he touches the ball, you are most likely going to score.

1. Barcelona: They are the epitome of a team that ‘has it all’. Speed, ball skill, shooting and defence. It is all there. They also have Lionel Messi in their squad, who is considered to be the greatest player in the game today. He is the first player in history to win three Golden Shoe awards, for scoring the most goals in a season of club football in all of Europe. On top of that, Barça have picked up young superstar Neymar, a young Brazilian player who is thought to be the next Messi.

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop