September 7, 2014 | by  | in Being Well Opinion |

C B T

CBT tells us that assessing our moods is important.
CBT tells us that our moods are created by our automatic thoughts.
CBT tells us that changing moods can be possible when we understand the thoughts creating these moods.

I am working towards a deadline at the library laughing at myself because the only pen I have is a purple Hello Kitty one. I’m eating a stupidly priced pastry I got myself to persuade myself to work but I’m still feeling very uncomfortable, though I am unsure as to which category of mood this discomfort resides in exactly. I am trying now both to begin my work and also to understand why I feel like barfing every time I try to begin my work, and my thoughts remind me that it is necessary to distinguish between your thoughts and your moods and your situational factors in order to understand why you want to vomit. My thoughts remind me that yes, your bodily reactions are totally valid expressions of something in and of themselves but you need to delve further and articulate exactly how are you feeling? in order to then understand where this is coming from. I’m thinking about my tutor complimenting me the other day on my work and realising that in this situation, aside from ‘I want to vomit’, the other more intelligible descriptions for my mood would be ‘nervous’, and ‘frightened.’ I’m thinking that my current mood might be ‘80 per cent scared’ and ‘20 per cent nervous’. My mind is like you now need to consider the automatic thoughts happening in your head in order to understand why you are feeling 100 per cent gross. My thoughts are like probably this is to do with one of your fave automatic thoughts which goes: what if she reads all of my work from now on very intently and realises how full of pastry and bullshit I am. My mind is like this makes sense and would explain your being scared of working, now. I am realising that when I feel sick I need to understand which automatic thoughts might be behind this. I’m thinking that I need to identify the causes of my moods more, instead of being overwhelmed by my guts, because then I might gradually be more triumphant and successful and beautiful like Joan Armatrading in Me Myself I as I want to be a bigshot and have 90 cars but that is not going to happen if I do not do my work.

Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is a talk therapy used to treat disruptive thinking. Each CBT client will use it in their own way, and students who think it could help them can visit Student Health.

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip