Campus Digest

NEW DEPUTY VICE-CHANCELLOR

The University has appointed Professor Frazer Allan as the new Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Engagement). The role is new, and the University says it will cover alumni and development, communications and marketing, relationship management, Victoria University Press, Adam Art Gallery, and the Centre for Lifelong Learning. Professor Grant Guilford says the University wants to become a world-leading capital-city university. “Victoria is focussed on increasing engagement with our communities of interest and doubling the size of our student population in the next 20 to 30 years, and this role has an important part to play in achieving those goals.” Professor Allan is currently the head of Massey’s Institute of Veterinary, Animal and Biomedical Sciences.

ROBOT WARS

Victoria hasn’t managed to maintain its 2013 winning streak at the Australasian National Instruments Autonomous Robotics Competition (NIARC). A team from Victoria’s School of Engineering and Computer Science, lead by student Robby Lopez, created Bolt! to compete in the competition, which was eventually won by Team AMCAT from the University of New South Wales. The theme for this year’s competition was agriculture, with the robots competing in farming-inspired challenges including collecting seeds and depositing them in the planting area and navigating through farming obstacles. Bolt! was designed to be very fast, and so was intensively redesigned from Michelangelo, the autonomous mining robot which won it for Victoria in 2013.

WHERE IN THE WORLD IS GRANT GUILFORD?

Everyone’s favourite vice-chancellor is roaming the world, and was last spotted in among the 350,000-strong ‘People’s Climate March’ in New York, held ahead of this week’s United Nations climate summit. Professor Guilford is attending alumni functions and meetings with key University supporters in New York, and has a strong environmental interest. Victoria is New Zealand’s only signatory of the Talloires Declaration, a declaration of sustainability signed by more than 400 universities and colleges around the world.

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop