September 14, 2014 | by  | in Food Opinion |

Cayenne Pepper Chocolate Truffles

Do you ever get hit by a chocolates craving? Not just an ordinary chocolate craving, which is fairly easily dealt with, but a need for actual chocolates. Fancy, creamy, with interesting flavours. And then realise that much as you’d like that giant box of mixed Lindts, as a student you’d better pick the instant noodles instead?

Luckily, I have a solution for you. Making your own fancy chocolates sounds like it should be hard, but in fact is really easy. If you can heat stuff in a pan, and as a child could roll Plasticine/Play-Doh into a ball, you can make these. Considering the very minimal effort and simple technique, you get an amazing result. The flavours are bold and strong; the texture is smooth and creamy. I could eat all 30 myself.

If you don’t like chilli and chocolate, switch it to something else. You can use the cream and chocolate base to make any flavour truffles. Swap the cayenne pepper for lime zest and juice, or orange zest and Cointreau, or brandy, or turmeric, or a little sea salt, or freeze-dried strawberries. I like bitter chocolate, but if you don’t, pick a slightly sweeter chocolate than I’ve specified here.

Cayenne Pepper Chocolate Truffles

Makes approximately 30

210 mL cream
250 g dark chocolate (at least 70 per cent cocoa)
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
cocoa powder, for rolling

Heat the cream until it reaches boiling point, then remove from heat and add the chocolate, broken into pieces. Stir until smooth. Add cayenne pepper (spiciness preferences are very variable, so I’d recommend adding small pinch, tasting, then adding more if necessary). Leave to cool, then transfer to the fridge until solid. Once hardened, take teaspoons of the mixture and roll into small balls. Dust these in cocoa powder.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t