Eye on Exec

The most recent Exec meeting was the most decisive of the year. The meeting began with President Sonya Clark’s report, which outlined her continued work winding down the VBC (nearly there, guys!) – the next step is to list the VBC’s assets and replace their computer, which is currently incapable of running Spotify or recording any shows.

Discussion then turned to Salient, with the cost of the team travelling to ASPAs (Aotearoa Student Press Association Awards) approved, along with Salient going somewhat over its print budget. Sonya also talked about the interviewing process for next year’s editors, the first round of which took place last week.

Next was the issue of Reclaim Vic. VUWSA was unsure about endorsing the group’s protest march, citing concerns about clarity of message and the involvement of Joel Cosgrove. Members generally thought the messages Reclaim Vic had were positive, and hoped to engage in further consultation with the group.

Next, the issue of withdrawal from NZUSA, which is covered in full on pages 7 and 8. Engagement VP Declan Doherty-Ramsay said it was sad the situation had come to this point, but he supported withdrawal. Academic VP Rāwinia Thompson said she hoped the VUWSA Exec would continue to meet and work with other students’-association representatives. Welfare VP Rick Zwaan said he fully supported leaving, and he felt that VUWSA had demonstrated they could run campaigns through their successes with Fairer Fares and voting campaigns during the general election. The Executive unanimously voted to withdraw, though Toby Cooper and Caroline Thirsk were not present at the meeting.

Campaigns Officer Alasdair Keating gave an update on the election and campaigns, which was generally agreed to be a huge success. Keating and the Engagement team put in a huge amount of work, and the Executive were very happy with the results.

Next was discussion of VUWSA’s Annual General Meeting, which will take place on 1 October in the Hub. VUWSA have changed their constitutional requirements so students don’t need to re-sign up every year. Following the AGM there will be a SGM, where a second student rep for Publications Committee will be elected. There will also be pizza. We all know what the drawcard is. See you there!

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop