September 14, 2014 | by  | in Opinion VUWSA |

Sonya Says

It’s time. Many people might be feeling a little bit relieved that this Saturday, finally, is the New Zealand General Election. With just five days to go, there’s still heaps of election-related happenings on campus so you can get informed and vote for what you care about.

Student’s Guide to Voting

This week around campus, look out for this puppy – an easy fold-out guide with everything you need to know about the different parties’ positions on student issues. Whether you care about keeping your Student Loan interest-free, cuts to postgraduate Allowances, or just what party will help you get into a job after your degree, the NZUSA Student Guide to Voting outlines what each party will do for us as students. Look out for these handy guides in lecture theatres and common spaces around all campuses.  You can also pop in to our office to pick up a copy of the Tertiary Women’s Guide to Voting, a guide on issues relevant to women.

The Great Political Debate

On Tuesday at 1 pm, come down to the Hub for this mega debate. We’ve got Wallace Chapman, of Back Benches fame, hosting the four biggest parties in Parliament for an in-depth debate on student issues and how/if they make their promises happen. There’ll be the chance for questions from the floor, and hopefully heaps of good banter. Let’s make this last stop on the politicians’ campaign trails one to remember.

Voting on Campus

If you haven’t seen the signs, advance voting is on this week again in Kelburn, on the ground floor of the Hub next to the Library. It’s open every day from 11 am – 3 pm, except late hours on Wednesday, until 6 pm.

For Pipitea students, voting is happening at the Asteron Centre at 55 Featherston St – that’s literally 280 metres from Rutherford House! Voting is open here from 8 am – 4 pm until Wednesday, then until 6 pm on Thursday and Friday.

Get on the… Walking Bus

Everyone is getting involved with voting – and some of the first-year halls have organised walking buses this week to the vote. Shout out to Weir House for getting this rolling. If you haven’t heard about a walking bus in your hall or flat, get the word out and start something!

Also on this week: the Special University Council meeting to set the tuition fees for 2015. This starts at 2 pm on Monday (today!) in the University Council chamber, and it is a public meeting. Myself and the other Student Representative on Council would love to see as many students in the gallery as possible for support, as we raise our concerns with the fee-setting process.

Vote early this election – being hungover is not an excuse!

Have a great week,
Sonya

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip