September 7, 2014 | by  | in Online Only |

Take 5 for Students: Bacon Beans

Bacon Beans
Beans, bacon, onions, tomatoes, barbecue sauce.

I was mildly amused by the wordplay of this baked beans recipe. It’s a great keeper and a goodie for the cool evenings of winter.

Soak 2 cups of dried beans (I used a mixture of kidney and others, though white beans are traditional) in lots of water overnight. An alternative is to boil them for an hour and then cool them for an hour before proceeding with the recipe.

Put the beans in a casserole dish with chopped bacon. The best kind is bacon ‘ends’ which you can find at the supermarket. They are irregular-sized, chunky bacon bits – which is absolutely fine for this kind of dish. Add a cup or two of these to the casserole, along with 2 chopped up onions, 2 cans of tomatoes and ½ cup barbecue sauce. I used a quality smoked barbecue sauce.

Add water to cover and put in the oven at 150°C (305°F) for 2-3 hours, or even more. Just check they don’t dry out and add water as necessary. It is possible to leave these beans cooking overnight in an even lower heat.

Eat as is, or serve with sour cream on top for best effect.

– Margôt de Cotesworth

Take 5 and Cook: cooking fabulous food with just 5 ingredients. Read the Take 5 Diary for more free recipes

1. From within the fallout zone
  2. Access Denied
  4. Ngāi Tauira
  6. Eight Things I Hate About Call of Duty
  7. Horoscope
  8. Protests against rape culture draw hundreds
  9. Capital C
  10. The Sellout — Paul Beatty

Flat out of options — what’s going on with Wellington’s rental madness?

: The words “renting crisis” have been thrown about a fair bit over the last few weeks. But do commentators and politicians get what this actually means for students and other renters struggling to find a place to live?