September 7, 2014 | by  | in Online Only |

Take 5 for Students: Bacon Beans

Bacon Beans
Beans, bacon, onions, tomatoes, barbecue sauce.

I was mildly amused by the wordplay of this baked beans recipe. It’s a great keeper and a goodie for the cool evenings of winter.

Soak 2 cups of dried beans (I used a mixture of kidney and others, though white beans are traditional) in lots of water overnight. An alternative is to boil them for an hour and then cool them for an hour before proceeding with the recipe.

Put the beans in a casserole dish with chopped bacon. The best kind is bacon ‘ends’ which you can find at the supermarket. They are irregular-sized, chunky bacon bits – which is absolutely fine for this kind of dish. Add a cup or two of these to the casserole, along with 2 chopped up onions, 2 cans of tomatoes and ½ cup barbecue sauce. I used a quality smoked barbecue sauce.

Add water to cover and put in the oven at 150°C (305°F) for 2-3 hours, or even more. Just check they don’t dry out and add water as necessary. It is possible to leave these beans cooking overnight in an even lower heat.

Eat as is, or serve with sour cream on top for best effect.

– Margôt de Cotesworth

Take 5 and Cook: cooking fabulous food with just 5 ingredients. Read the Take 5 Diary for more free recipes

: - SPONSORED - 1). I wish my friends knew that when they ask me what “percentage” of Māori I am—half, quarter, or eighth—they make me feel like a human pie chart. I don’t know how people can ask this so nonchalantly, but they do. So I want to let you know: this is a ver