September 7, 2014 | by  | in Online Only |

Take 5 for Students: Bacon Beans

Bacon Beans
Beans, bacon, onions, tomatoes, barbecue sauce.

I was mildly amused by the wordplay of this baked beans recipe. It’s a great keeper and a goodie for the cool evenings of winter.

Soak 2 cups of dried beans (I used a mixture of kidney and others, though white beans are traditional) in lots of water overnight. An alternative is to boil them for an hour and then cool them for an hour before proceeding with the recipe.

Put the beans in a casserole dish with chopped bacon. The best kind is bacon ‘ends’ which you can find at the supermarket. They are irregular-sized, chunky bacon bits – which is absolutely fine for this kind of dish. Add a cup or two of these to the casserole, along with 2 chopped up onions, 2 cans of tomatoes and ½ cup barbecue sauce. I used a quality smoked barbecue sauce.

Add water to cover and put in the oven at 150°C (305°F) for 2-3 hours, or even more. Just check they don’t dry out and add water as necessary. It is possible to leave these beans cooking overnight in an even lower heat.

Eat as is, or serve with sour cream on top for best effect.

– Margôt de Cotesworth

Take 5 and Cook: cooking fabulous food with just 5 ingredients. Read the Take 5 Diary for more free recipes

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip