September 21, 2014 | by  | in Online Only |

Take 5 for Students: Meatballs

Take 5 Meatballs
Minced beef, sundried tomatoes, tomato sauce, egg, diced tomatoes.

I made these meatballs for my niece and nephew who know what they like to eat.

Mix together a packet of minced beef with a few finely chopped sundried tomatoes, a squirt of tomato sauce (adds a bit of sweetness and a bit of spice) and a beaten egg – and season well.

Shape meatballs and place them in a dish with a splash of oil. Tip over a can or two of diced tomatoes, and add another squeeze of tomato sauce. Cook in the oven at about 180°C (350°F) till the meatballs are cooked and the tomatoes form a saucy thing.

We served this on orzo, which was highly approved of my sister’s children. Orzo looks like rice but it’s pasta – I guess it would take an Italian to explain that one. Cook the orzo in boiling water – then drain, season and stir about with another splash of olive oil. My student-children tell me students on a shoestring may not pay for olive oil, but I am telling you now: you must! For the price of a glass of wine, you can buy a bottle of olive oil. Just do it. You won’t miss that one drink, and the oil will last for quite a long time as a Take 5 for Students component.

– Margôt de Cotesworth

Take 5 and Cook: cooking fabulous food with just 5 ingredients. Read the Take 5 Diary for more free recipes: http://bit.ly/t5diary

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop