September 21, 2014 | by  | in Online Only |

Take 5 for Students: Meatballs

Take 5 Meatballs
Minced beef, sundried tomatoes, tomato sauce, egg, diced tomatoes.

I made these meatballs for my niece and nephew who know what they like to eat.

Mix together a packet of minced beef with a few finely chopped sundried tomatoes, a squirt of tomato sauce (adds a bit of sweetness and a bit of spice) and a beaten egg – and season well.

Shape meatballs and place them in a dish with a splash of oil. Tip over a can or two of diced tomatoes, and add another squeeze of tomato sauce. Cook in the oven at about 180°C (350°F) till the meatballs are cooked and the tomatoes form a saucy thing.

We served this on orzo, which was highly approved of my sister’s children. Orzo looks like rice but it’s pasta – I guess it would take an Italian to explain that one. Cook the orzo in boiling water – then drain, season and stir about with another splash of olive oil. My student-children tell me students on a shoestring may not pay for olive oil, but I am telling you now: you must! For the price of a glass of wine, you can buy a bottle of olive oil. Just do it. You won’t miss that one drink, and the oil will last for quite a long time as a Take 5 for Students component.

– Margôt de Cotesworth

Take 5 and Cook: cooking fabulous food with just 5 ingredients. Read the Take 5 Diary for more free recipes: http://bit.ly/t5diary

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this