September 21, 2014 | by  | in Online Only |

Take 5 for Students: Meatballs

Take 5 Meatballs
Minced beef, sundried tomatoes, tomato sauce, egg, diced tomatoes.

I made these meatballs for my niece and nephew who know what they like to eat.

Mix together a packet of minced beef with a few finely chopped sundried tomatoes, a squirt of tomato sauce (adds a bit of sweetness and a bit of spice) and a beaten egg – and season well.

Shape meatballs and place them in a dish with a splash of oil. Tip over a can or two of diced tomatoes, and add another squeeze of tomato sauce. Cook in the oven at about 180°C (350°F) till the meatballs are cooked and the tomatoes form a saucy thing.

We served this on orzo, which was highly approved of my sister’s children. Orzo looks like rice but it’s pasta – I guess it would take an Italian to explain that one. Cook the orzo in boiling water – then drain, season and stir about with another splash of olive oil. My student-children tell me students on a shoestring may not pay for olive oil, but I am telling you now: you must! For the price of a glass of wine, you can buy a bottle of olive oil. Just do it. You won’t miss that one drink, and the oil will last for quite a long time as a Take 5 for Students component.

– Margôt de Cotesworth

Take 5 and Cook: cooking fabulous food with just 5 ingredients. Read the Take 5 Diary for more free recipes: http://bit.ly/t5diary

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip