September 21, 2014 | by  | in Online Only |

Take 5 for Students: Meatballs

Take 5 Meatballs
Minced beef, sundried tomatoes, tomato sauce, egg, diced tomatoes.

I made these meatballs for my niece and nephew who know what they like to eat.

Mix together a packet of minced beef with a few finely chopped sundried tomatoes, a squirt of tomato sauce (adds a bit of sweetness and a bit of spice) and a beaten egg – and season well.

Shape meatballs and place them in a dish with a splash of oil. Tip over a can or two of diced tomatoes, and add another squeeze of tomato sauce. Cook in the oven at about 180°C (350°F) till the meatballs are cooked and the tomatoes form a saucy thing.

We served this on orzo, which was highly approved of my sister’s children. Orzo looks like rice but it’s pasta – I guess it would take an Italian to explain that one. Cook the orzo in boiling water – then drain, season and stir about with another splash of olive oil. My student-children tell me students on a shoestring may not pay for olive oil, but I am telling you now: you must! For the price of a glass of wine, you can buy a bottle of olive oil. Just do it. You won’t miss that one drink, and the oil will last for quite a long time as a Take 5 for Students component.

– Margôt de Cotesworth

Take 5 and Cook: cooking fabulous food with just 5 ingredients. Read the Take 5 Diary for more free recipes: http://bit.ly/t5diary

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t