Uni Council Election: Meet the Candidates

The voting for 2015’s student representative on University Council takes place from Wednesday 8–15 October. The University Council is the governing body of the University, and currently has 20 members, two of whom are student representatives – one elected by students, and one from VUWSA. Steven Joyce’s reforms to the makeup of university councils may shrink the Council to 12, and the University has indicated one student-elected representative would remain. The Council decides on University planning, budgets, student consultation and, importantly, it sets your fees every year. The student University Council representative is one of the most important links between students and University management: vote wisely!

Stella Blake-Kelly

Occupation: Student

Qualifications: 2009–2012, 2014 – BSc majoring in Geography and Environmental Studies

Kia ora – I’m Stella. I’m currently finishing my BSc in Geography and Environmental Studies, and I’d love to be your Student Representative on University Council in 2015.

I have the knowledge and experience necessary to be a strong advocate and voice for all students on Council. As a News Editor and last year a Co-Editor at Salient, I spent three years observing and reporting on University Council meetings. I’ve seen and understand the way that Council operates, and, if elected, will build on my existing relationships and institutional knowledge in order to be an effective representative from day one.

Over 90 per cent of Victoria’s community is students, yet less than ten per cent of voices at the top table actually pay to be here. It’s important our student representatives are informed, vocal, and can work constructively with the University – ensuring that students are the priority when it comes to making decisions about our University’s future.

This is especially important next year, with changes to Council size and the removal of the legal requirement for student representation. I will work constructively with the University to ensure there continues to be a strong student voice at Victoria well into the future.

Avril Gillan

Occupation: Student/Residential Advisor

Qualifications: 2011–2015 – LLB/BCom

I am immensely proud to call myself a student of Victoria University of Wellington, not just for its academic reputation but for the immense effort it puts into guiding its students. I am proud of the staff and the direction they are taking the University in being a valuable institution for the future of New Zealand. I wish to be a part of this, to advocate for the beliefs of my colleagues and represent their place in this development.

I have always taken an active role in the direction and performance of the University and its students. To encourage academic excellence, I have volunteered as a mentor for Māori and Pasifika students, while also working as a tutor for both Information Systems Management and Economics. As the Economics and Finance student representative for VicCom, I worked to implement a system to provide further academic assistance to students, in tandem with those provided by the University.

My role as a residential advisor at Joan Stevens Hall has provided me with a wide range of experience in management and the amount of interaction the University has in fostering its student body.

Ben Mrowinski

Occupation: Student

Qualifications: 2012–2015 – BA / Major in Education

I am standing for the University Council to help enhance our student atmosphere here at the Uni.

Through working on designating more funding to clubs and social groups, we can help maintain a balance between study and life outside of uni. Other issues that I would like to address on the Council are the ever rising university fees year after year, as well as printing costs for all students. I aim to lower the cost of both of these. Let’s remember that the University needs our money as a significant source of income, so it’s essential that we all get our money’s worth through what we need in order to be successful and have a good time here at VUW. Through a good student voice and student backing, we can achieve these things and continue to enjoy life inside as well as out of uni.

Elijah Pue

Occupation: Student

Qualifications: 2012 – current

Bachelor of Commerce / Accountancy, Bachelor of Arts / Māori Studies

Kia ora – my name is Elijah Pue, and I believe that it is time that Victoria University of Wellington students had a say at University Council. A say that matters to students most. I believe that with an upfront, honest and reliable attitude, I will be able to carry out the representation of students best. I think that students need someone that they can rely on, can trust, and who is approachable. I want to be this person. I will establish and continue a working relationship with key representative groups on campus, including VUWSA, Ngāi Tauira, the PGSA, the PSC, the Women’s Group, and UniQ – to name a few. Diverse representation is needed with such a diverse culture at Vic. What comes with such a diverse culture is the ability to represent everyone, from all walks of life. I believe that I am this person, and able to carry out the hard task of representing all students at the forefront of the issues. I’m not a person to stand back and let things slip away before me. I will consult with students, be their voice, and be there when they need me most.

Tēnā koutou katoa. Ko Elijah Pue tōku ingoa. Kua tae ki te wā kia tū he māngai Māori mo te Kaunihera Matua o tēnei whare wānanga. Kei āu ngā pukenga katoa hei whakakī i te tūru nei, he pukumahi, he ngākau mahaki, he waiaro hīkaka hoki tāku. Koianei taku oati ki tēnei tūranga, ka tūhonotia e au ki ngā roopū māngai a te whare wānanga pērā ki VUWSA, Ngāi Tauira, te PGSA, te PSC, te Roopū Wahine, me UniQ – me ērā atu. Ko tāku he whakanui i ngā tini āhuatanga o te whare wānanga kia puawai te ahurea o Wikitoria. Kaore i kō atu, kaore i kō mai i au, hei māngai mā tātou ngā tauira nā runga i taku manawanui ki te kimi hua hei whakatau i ngā take ahakoa te aha. Ko au te kōwhiringa tika, i te mea ahakoa ngā tini wero ka ahu mai ki runga i taku ara ka eke panuku, ka eke Tangaroa. Hei whakakapi, ka kōrero ngātahi nei au ki ngā tauira, ka tū hoki au hei mātanga hāpai, heoi ko te mea nui ka noho au hei reo māngai mā ngā tauira katoa o te whare wānanga.

: - SPONSORED - 1). I wish my friends knew that when they ask me what “percentage” of Māori I am—half, quarter, or eighth—they make me feel like a human pie chart. I don’t know how people can ask this so nonchalantly, but they do. So I want to let you know: this is a ver