Victoria Appoints Provost

Professor Neil Quigley, recent Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) at Victoria University, has been appointed as New Zealand’s first Provost.

The role of Provost is to oversee Victoria’s teaching and research programmes, as well as make sure they are meeting the high standards set by the University. A Provost also ensures the relevance of research programmes in the domestic and international communities. Provosts have been used increasingly in top universities around the world.

Victoria’s Vice-Chancellor, Professor Grant Guilford, said “appointing someone of Professor Quigley’s calibre to this high-profile role is a key step in achieving our vision of being a leading capital-city university.”

Professor Quigley has been a senior leader at Victoria University for the past 17 years, and will take up the role of Provost from 1 October.

Professor Guilford went on to explain other senior leadership changes at Victoria.

“A Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Māori) role has been created. This is the most senior Māori role in any university and recognises the importance to Victoria of the Treaty of Waitangi and our partnership with tangata whenua.”

“We have also appointed New Zealand’s first Assistant Vice-Chancellor (Sustainability), underscoring the importance of sustainability to New Zealand’s future. This role will be responsible for leading a University-wide programme on sustainability.”

Professor Guilford concluded that the appointment of a Provost “is the first of a number of strategic leadership appointments at Victoria that signal a change in the way the University operates.”

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t