2014 Person of the Year

The Journalist

2014 was a massive year for news: we had an election, there was an outbreak of Ebola, MH370 disappeared, and MH17 was shot down over Ukraine, which was also involved in a border dispute with Russia. Israel and Palestine had a war. The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) foisted itself on the Middle East. There was a Football World Cup, and a Winter Olympics, and a Commonwealth Games. New Zealand experienced an American-style shooting incident. The royals came. Scotland almost voted to leave the United Kingdom. And we’re not even finished yet.

In addition to bringing us this news, journalists also became the news. ISIS beheaded a number of innocent correspondents. A BBC reporter made headlines for rifling through the luggage of flight MH17 victims. And Nicky Hager (pictured) uncovered something rotten at the heart of New Zealand politics. It’s too easy to say that news media is going to hell in a handbasket, but we think that journalists do a bloody brilliant job (but then again, we’re the press, so we are biased).

1