2014 Person of the Year

The Journalist

2014 was a massive year for news: we had an election, there was an outbreak of Ebola, MH370 disappeared, and MH17 was shot down over Ukraine, which was also involved in a border dispute with Russia. Israel and Palestine had a war. The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) foisted itself on the Middle East. There was a Football World Cup, and a Winter Olympics, and a Commonwealth Games. New Zealand experienced an American-style shooting incident. The royals came. Scotland almost voted to leave the United Kingdom. And we’re not even finished yet.

In addition to bringing us this news, journalists also became the news. ISIS beheaded a number of innocent correspondents. A BBC reporter made headlines for rifling through the luggage of flight MH17 victims. And Nicky Hager (pictured) uncovered something rotten at the heart of New Zealand politics. It’s too easy to say that news media is going to hell in a handbasket, but we think that journalists do a bloody brilliant job (but then again, we’re the press, so we are biased).

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop