2014 Person of the Year

The Journalist

2014 was a massive year for news: we had an election, there was an outbreak of Ebola, MH370 disappeared, and MH17 was shot down over Ukraine, which was also involved in a border dispute with Russia. Israel and Palestine had a war. The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) foisted itself on the Middle East. There was a Football World Cup, and a Winter Olympics, and a Commonwealth Games. New Zealand experienced an American-style shooting incident. The royals came. Scotland almost voted to leave the United Kingdom. And we’re not even finished yet.

In addition to bringing us this news, journalists also became the news. ISIS beheaded a number of innocent correspondents. A BBC reporter made headlines for rifling through the luggage of flight MH17 victims. And Nicky Hager (pictured) uncovered something rotten at the heart of New Zealand politics. It’s too easy to say that news media is going to hell in a handbasket, but we think that journalists do a bloody brilliant job (but then again, we’re the press, so we are biased).

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t