October 12, 2014 | by  | in Features |

Salient’s Favourite Chocolate-Chip Cookies

This is the Opinion issue, but this is less my opinion than it is a crowdsourced decision: I’ve been trialling various recipes for chocolate-chip cookies on the Salient office all year (they haven’t minded), and this has, just, proven to be the favourite. These cookies are a classic chocolate chip: crispy, chewy, full of dark chocolate. They’re straightforward to make, and the dough tastes pretty good eaten straight from the bowl, if you’re that way inclined.

adapted from various sources, particularly Smitten Kitchen – we like more butter and chocolate.

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
225 g unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 block dark chocolate, broken into squares (I use Whittaker’s 62 per cent – it’s easier to break when still in the foil).

1. Preheat the oven to 165 °C and line trays with baking paper.

2. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl, beat the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended.

3. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended.

4. Mix in chocolate squares using a spatula, then spoon cookies onto trays. I find smaller cookies work best (and they cook more quickly = you get to eat them sooner), so I’d recommend less than a tablespoon of mixture per cookie. Try for one square of chocolate per cookie, in the centre at the top of the cookie: this will stop it sticking to the tray, and it looks good. The cookies will spread out, so make sure to space them out.

5. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted (larger cookies will take longer). Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

6. Eat! Or bring to your co-workers.

10. International Queer in Review