The Year That Was

FEBRUARY

• The 2014 West Africa Ebola outbreak begins, eventually infecting 7493 people and killing at least 3439 people, the most severe both in terms of numbers of infections and deaths.
  • The Ukrainian parliament votes to remove President Viktor Yanukovych from office, replacing him with Oleksandr Turchynov, after days of civil unrest left around 100 people dead in Kiev.
  • Salient returns!

MARCH

• Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, a Boeing 777 airliner en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur, disappears over the Gulf of Thailand with 239 people on board. The aircraft is presumed to have crashed into the Indian Ocean.
  • New VC Grant Guilford is appointed; proceeds with campaign to wins hearts and minds. Is mostly successful, except for Reclaim Vic.
  • Vic’s law school drops to third in New Zealand.
  • Shane Jones tells Auckland students that there are too many international students in New Zealand.
  • Gareth Morgan and the VUW Science Society offer students a beer in exchange for dead rats.
  • John Key announces a flag referendum in the Hunter Council Chamber; this will be held in this government’s term.
  • VUWLSS in hot water over their Garden Party; they still haven’t forgiven us for running the story. Love u Myles call me xoxo

APRIL

• An estimated 276 girls and women are abducted and held hostage from a school in Nigeria.
  • Three women are sexually assaulted on the Boyd-Wilson path over the Easter break, following years of security concerns from students.
  • The Hunter Lounge and VUWSA call for students to be able to smoke on The Hunter Lounge’s balcony; the Uni is having none of it.
  • The Wellington City Council proposes cutting the number-18 bus route, sparking VUWSA protests.
  • Synthetic highs, which had previously been legal, are banned.
  • Kate, Will and George visit.

MAY

• Student representatives regain the ability to vote on Academic Board.
  • Budget 2014 doesn’t have much in it for students other than STEM students.
  • Over 300 students march along the Boyd-Wilson path in response to the attacks in April.

JUNE

• We were on holiday.
    BUT IN WORLD NEWS:
  • A Sunni militant group called the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (also known as ISIS or ISIL) begins an offensive through Northern Iraq.
  • The 2014 FIFA World Cup is held in Brazil, and is won by Germany.

JULY

• Amid growing tensions between Israel and Hamas following the kidnapping and murder of three Israeli teenagers in June and the revenge-killing of a Palestinian teenager in July, Israel launches Operation Protective Edge on the Palestinian Gaza Strip starting with numerous missile strikes, followed by a ground invasion a week later. In seven weeks of fighting, 2100 Palestinians and 71 Israelis are killed.
  • Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 (a Boeing 777) crashes in Ukraine, after being shot down by a missile. 298 people die, including 15 crew members.
  • Air Algérie Flight 5017 crashes in Mali, killing all 116 people on-board.
  • Steven Joyce rules out cutting course-related costs and Student Allowances. Thank fuck: I need a new laptop.
  • Work begins on the construction of the new School of Biological Sciences at Kelburn Campus, and plans for the redevelopment of Rutherford House are released.
  • Over 100 students gather in the Hub to protest the commercialisation of uni.
  • The Pasifika Students’ Council elects a new president after the former president is implicated in the theft of money.

AUGUST

• @peace releases ‘Kill the PM’: OUSA and Kiwiblog have a spat about it.
  • Dirty Politics is released.
  • Rick Zwaan is elected 2015 VUWSA President.

SEPTEMBER

• The Scottish independence referendum is held. Scotland votes ‘No’ to independence with a 55 per cent majority. Only four (of 32) councils vote for independence.
  • The United States and several Arab partners begin their airstrike campaign in Syria.
  • Kim Dotcom’s ‘Moment of Truth’ is a massive flop, not least because of fuckface Assange’s involvement.
  • THE ELECTION. What a great night.
  • Uni fees increase by four per cent for 2015, as they always do.
  • Hundreds of students pack the Hub to hear politicians debate. Nearly 4000 people made use of advance voting on campus in the lead-up to the election.
  • VUWSA withdraws from NZUSA.
  • VUWSA becomes officially pro-choice, following a referendum at its AGM.

OCTOBER

• The Fruju Tropical Snow returns.

1. With Arms Wide Open: AUSA to return to NZUSA
  3. WEED — Anthony McCarten
  5. The New Animals — Pip Adam
  6. The Queer Agenda
  7. Fazerdaze
  9. The Green Option
  10. Bogan Beautiful (The Musical)
blue

The Things We Share

: - SPONSORED - As a Pākehā kid, when I first learnt to mihi, I found that building a sense of my own whakapapa was a kind of patchwork, something I could stitch together by pulling threads from family stories. The waka I chose, or borrowed from my father, was called the Wanganel