January 16, 2015 | by  | in Online Only |

Work for Salient in 2015!

Salient has a huge range of positions available this year. Have a look, have a think, and send all applications and enquiries to Applications close Friday 23 January.

Chief Sub-Editor

Do you enjoy passionate debates over the merits of the Oxford Comma? Do you constantly correct your friends’ incorrect pronouns? If so, we have the job for you, loser! The Chief Sub-Editor is paid to read and correct Salient’s content each week – it doesn’t get much better than this! 5 hours per week.

Please provide: Cover letter and CV.

Deliver Salient to all the pick-up sites every Sunday afternoon. This includes filling all of the magazine stands at each of the University’s campuses (Kelburn, Karori, Te Aro, Pipitea), and delivering copies to a number of other sites around town. You’ll need your own wheels for this job, but we’ll pay for your petrol costs. 5 hours per week.

Please provide: Cover letter, CV and a copy of your NZ Drivers’ License.

Web Editor

A one-off piece of work to take Salient’s website to the next level. We’re looking for a new homepage design, interactive feature templates, audio streaming, and embedded audio and video. The emphasis is on usability for both readers and Salient staff. WordPress knowledge is essential.

Please provide: Cover letter, CV and a portfolio of your web design work.

Writing positions

Orientation Writers

Stuck in Wellington over summer with nothing to do? Want to write for Salient, but have commitment issues? You’re in luck – Salient needs a February team to tackle its Orientation Issue! Interview O-Week acts, write features and listicles, and champion all the underappreciated little corners of the city. Strong knowledge of Wellington is highly preferable.

Please provide: Cover letter and 2-5 examples of your writing.

News Interns

This is the fucking news. Become a central part of VUW’s fourth estate, chasing down the juiciest campus scoops and holding those uni mofos to account. If that’s not your cup of hot beverage, you could be our roving Wellington and satellite campus reporter, or even slum it at Parliament’s press gallery – the possibilities are (sort of) endless! Up to three positions available.

Please provide: Cover letter, CV and two examples of your writing.

Be that column everyone flicks to. It could be politics, it could be sex, it could be the intrigues of nineteenth-century Venezuelan beekeeping: if you have a topic you’re passionate about, and a flair for writing, pledge us your pen today!

Please provide: An overview of your idea for the column, and a 400-word mock-up column.

Don’t know exactly what to write, but keen for a bit of everything? Salient needs an army of feature writers, reviewers, interviewers, ranters, listicle nerds, and people to get crunk with us at BYOs. Get on the mailing list and contribute as frequently or infrequently as you like.

Please provide: Cover letter outlining your interests and availability, and two examples of your writing.

Editorial positions

Like a swarm of erudite locusts Salient’s subs rampage through the office twice a week, stripping away the magazine’s errors and making off with all the spare food. The Monday gang handles columns and culture, the Thursday gang the news. It’s riotous. It’s sexy. It’s grammar.

Please provide: Cover letter and CV.

Section Editor: Film

The Film Editor is responsible for coordinating Salient’s film reviewers and producing 2 pages of film reviews every week. Strong organisational and proofreading skills, as well as a passion for film, are a must. A willingness to drop everything and pig out when the film festival arrives is also a big plus.

Section Editor: Music

Coordinate Salient’s music reviewers, write and proofread album and gig reviews, interview musicians, and curate a weekly gig guide. A strong knowledge of the Wellington music scene and an accessible writing style are highly preferable.

Page Editors: Books/Gaming/Food/Theatre/Visual Arts/Technology/Science

Each of these pages needs an Editor to provide a weekly or fortnightly column, review, or interview. Work with the Salient Editor to dream up the page’s format and vision, and coordinate volunteers if necessary. Various perks are on offer – enquire within!

Please provide: Cover letter outlining your ideas for the page and two examples of your writing.

Multimedia and Design positions

Bring us your pretty pictures, and we’ll bring you fame and … more fame. Cover uni-related events, or just send us cool shit. We LOVE cool shit.

Please provide: Cover letter, CV and portfolio.

If you want to help out with feature or cover illustrations, or have a regular cartoon in mind, get in touch quickly or else the Editor will fill Salient with his crudely drawn stick figures.

Salient TV

Salient’s video arm has a new lease of life in 2015. If you’re an aspiring director, screenwriter or video journalist, this is a great way to gain some hands-on experience. Work closely with the Salient news team and receive on-the-job training from experts in the field.

Please provide: Cover letter and CV.

Salient FM

The VBC is dead … long live Salient FM! We need music buffs, funny folk, commentators and people with sexy voices to help us build the future of student radio. If you want to host a regular show, that’s awesome; if you want to make a podcast, that’s fucking fantastic. You never know, you could be the next Serial.

Please provide: Cover letter and CV.