February 22, 2015 | by  | in Being Well |

Being Well

If you’re new to Victoria, you won’t yet have discovered Student Health. Our main clinic is located on the Kelburn campus, level 1 of the Student Union building, but we have a smaller, satellite clinic at the Pipitea campus too. As well as offering all the services you would expect from a regular medical centre, we specialise in student health.

We provide confidential medical and nursing care delivered by a large team of doctors, nurses and support staff.  We work hand-in-hand with the counselling team, and aim to provide a holistic approach to your health and well-being. The services we offer include:

• Treatment for illnesses and injuries;

• Management of psychological issues including stress, anxiety and depression;

• Consultation and support for sexual and contraceptive issues, including  STI checks, pregnancy, cervical smears, and contraceptive advice. We also provide unlimited condoms free of charge!

• Support with making healthy life style changes such as stopping smoking, reducing weight, discussing alcohol and drug issues;

• Guidance and management of ongoing health conditions e.g. asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, mental health;

• Immunisations including the meningococcal disease, gardasil, measles, mumps and rubella, pertussis (whooping cough), and influenza (flu) vaccine;

• Travel health including medical kits and travel immunisations;

• Skin cancer screening and minor surgery for moles, lumps and bumps;

• Medical assessment for diving, and driving medicals;

• Specialist clinics (dermatology, diabetes and psychiatry) are also run from Maori Ora.

How to access us

Reception is open during business hours on (04) 463 5308. Please call to book a routine appointment, order a prescription to be picked up, or to leave a message for a doctor or nurse. The usual waiting time for an appointment is one to five days, but this can vary.

If you are very unwell or require immediate help, there is an emergency clinic available daily from 8.30am-4.30pm. You can phone or walk in to the clinic. Patients in the emergency clinic are prioritised—those who are more unwell will be seen first.

Outside business hours, your phone call will be diverted to the Wellington Accident and Medical Centre ( They have doctors available until 11pm each night.

What does it cost?

All students who have paid the Student Services Levy can use Student Health at low cost. If you are a New Zealand resident, you have the option of formally enrolling here—this means your appointments will be free! If you stay enrolled with your previous GP, you can still be seen but will be charged a fee.

International students can also be seen at Student Health. The cost of your appointment is usually covered by insurance if you have it—however, for “pre-existing” medical conditions, prescriptions and certain tests, fees may be charged.

To find out more about Student Health please visit our website at or come and visit us in person.