February 22, 2015 | by  | in VUWSA |

Engagement Vice-President

University is a massive, life-altering adventure. And it starts right here. With the action-packed VUWSA O-Week, there’s plenty for everyone, and most of it is FREE:

• Play League of Legends at the Vic Engineering Club 1v1 Gaming Day, mix some beats at the DJ Workshop, or visit the Adam Art Gallery exhibition.
  • See award-winning comics Guy Williams and Jarred Fell in The Hunter Lounge, your on-campus bar and café in the Student Union Building.
  • Party at epic music gigs with international giants Sigma, New Zealand legend Savage and local bands Drax Project and Groeni.
  • For a more chilled out vibe, grab a drink at the Hunter Lounge and enjoy Wellington’s acoustic musicians at Afternoon Live and theatre performers at Fringe Short Snippets and PlayShop Live.
  • To score yourself a whole bunch of freebies, including a diary or wall planner, head to the VUWSA Carnival in the Kelburn Campus Courtyard.
  • For more info on any of these goings-on, take a gander at

A few things I wish someone had told me when I started university:

1. Join in. Meet your neighbours. Go to as many O-Week events as possible.
  2. Once O-Week is over, things quieten down. But heaps of student groups and clubs hold events all the time throughout the year, and you can join anytime (see
  3. Speak up in tutorials or lectures. Introduce yourself to your lecturer. Ask those nagging questions.
  4. Staying up until 4am to memorise every fact and detail in Law Alive is not a good use of your time. You’re not expected to know everything in your readings and probably won’t be tested on the minor details.
  5. Despite what Grant Morris tells you, two out of three people don’t fail LAWS121. Rather, most people decide to drop out, finding that law simply isn’t for them. Relax, you’ll do fine.
  6. If you’re unhappy with anything concerning your landlord, hall manager, employer, or your courses, visit the professional VUWSA Advocate. This is a free and confidential service for all students.
  7. It is okay to ask for help. It is GREAT to ask for help. Don’t go it alone.