February 22, 2015 | by  | in News |

Eye on Exec: Exec to Buy a New Van

It won’t be like last time, they promise

VUWSA wants to buy a new van. Here’s some context:

In 2007, VUWSA President Geoff Hayward and Education Officer Paul Brown misappropriated $22,222.22 of student money to pimp out the VUWSA van with mag wheels, tinted windows, a black paint job and a sound system—an expense the 2008 Exec subsequently attempted to cover up. The van broke down in January 2010, and was sold that May.

Since then, VUWSA had leased a van from the University, but the lease ran out in 2013 and VUWSA management didn’t bother to inform the Executive until after the fact. So for the last few months, VUWSA has been van-less—which is just as well, since they’re clearly terrible at anything involving vans.

At the Executive meeting on Tuesday 17 February, Welfare Vice-President Madeleine Ashton-Martyn tabled a proposal to buy a second-hand van for about $22,420. When Salient asked why they couldn’t just lease one from the University again, President Rick’s response was “if we’re going to discuss that I’d rather do it in committee”—“committee” being a closed session that Salient isn’t allowed to report on. Make of that what you will.

Although Salient can’t repeat what was said in committee, we’d just like to reiterate the following: VUWSA is really bad at vans.

After coming back out of committee, there was some good news: VUWSA has a new General Manager, which they’ve lacked for almost as long as they’ve lacked a van. Indigo Freya will start in the position on 2 March, along with new Association Secretary Timothy Grigg, Student Rep Coordinator Jacinta Cording, and Student Advocate Kate Nicklechok.

Finally, Rick informed the Executive that the 2015 student media budget was in its “final stages”, a rather ostentatious way to describe a process that began in the editor’s back lawn and has since consisted of one meeting. But oh well, $$$$$

1