February 22, 2015 | by  | in News |

GayTMs Not So Sparkly After All

ANZ is celebrating queer events for Pride Month in Auckland and Wellington with the introduction of GayTMs. The initiative to support the queer community involves decorated ATMs in Auckland and Welington with rainbows and bright rhinestones.

Despite the bank’s intentions, many in the queer community see GayTMs as a marketing ploy for the pink dollar—the purchasing power of the queer community.

Although ANZ is marketing itself as a queer-friendly bank, its policies are failing some members of the transgender community. Due to security concerns, banks including ANZ will not allow their customers to have a title on their account that does not correspond to their sex. ANZ’s pretence of accepting diversity seemingly does not extend to gender diversity, as choosing a salutation such as Mr or Ms is required.

Some customers have had to jump through hoops to get their titles removed from bank statements and, when going into branches to change their titles and names, are met with confusion and mismanagement.

One transgender ANZ customer, who did not wish to be named, said he had been subjected to invasive questioning when going into the Lambton Quay branch to advise of his name change and to ask for his salutation to be removed. Even after this ordeal, ANZ continued to address him as ‘Ms’ in its correspondence.

Antonia Watson, ANZ Chief Financial Officer and Pride Network Executive Sponsor, was quoted in the New Zealand Herald saying “the GayTMs represent values that are important to all of us—respect, inclusion, equality and acceptance.”

Others in the queer community feel there are bigger issues facing queers. “My idea of liberation for all genders and sexualities doesn’t include sparkly ATMs while people are still homeless and starving,” queer activist Kassie Hartendorp posted on Facebook.

All proceeds from the use of non-ANZ customer cards at GayTMs will be donated to OUTline, a queer phone support service.

ANZ plans to have the GayTMs in place until the end of February.

1. Newsthub: No need to kill cats Mittens, owners should be responsible – Wellington Mayor Justin Lester
  2. Where Does Your Student Services Levy Go?
  4. Simran Rughani Resigns from VUWSA
  5. Score Steamed Hams with Seymour for Society Soirée
  6. VUWSA Launches Student Mental Health Campaign
  7. Tragicomic Webseries
  8. Issue 18, Vol 81: Under the Surface