February 22, 2015 | by  | in News |

On the Road to Student Fares

The Wellington City Council will soon trial cheaper off-peak bus fares for students and weekend users.

The council has allocated $275,000 of ratepayer funds to subsidise the trial in an effort to put pressure on the Greater Wellington Regional Council to take more steps to cut fares. $75,000 of the funds will go toward a one-month trial for discounted off-peak student fares.

The move follows calls from the Green Party to include half-price student fares in the Greater Wellington Region’s draft Long Term Plan for 2015.

Regional Councillor Paul Swain claims Victoria University will be expected to make a contribution to the discounted fares if the trial is to go ahead. Swain remains skeptical of the trial, telling the Dominion Post “it’s good to have big visions, but those visions need to be affordable”.

Wellington City Councillor Iona Pannett is confident the trial will be cost effective, telling Newstalk ZB that “because it’s a good deal for more people, more people are going to use the buses, so ultimately it shouldn’t cost anything for the trial.”

VUWSA has been campaigning for discounted student bus fares for over three years.

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con