February 22, 2015 | by  | in Arts Visual Arts |

The Top Three Creative Havens of Wellington

Another year lies before us, offering, but not promising, the moments and things we want and need. The calendar gives us a fresh sense of time, and all feels slightly new. With a careful tread you might make this last, but it is easy to fall victim to routine, to become disenchanted. If you do find yourself in a rut, keep these places in mind:

1. City Gallery—When you think of ‘art gallery’, what do you see? A logo with a trendy bold sans serif font, quiet rooms with white walls and either overly bright or overly dimmed lighting, awkward employees standing in the corners watching you as you watch the art, and neat little descriptions next to each piece that after reading you realise mean nothing at all? Well, the City Gallery has all these things! Hooray!

2. Te Papa—How many times have you visited the giant squid in Te Papa? One? Two? Two hundred? It’s arguable how many times is enough, but most agree that it is somewhere between twenty and forty visits when the novelty starts to wear off. What not many people know is that there is in fact more to Te Papa than the giant squid (whaat?!!). The hidden masterpiece of Te Papa is in fact its 1:1 scale model of a whale’s heart, complete with a vena cava you can crawl through and sit inside, sometimes joining the company of a small child. While there are mountain summits in Nepal and ashrams in India, the inside of this plastic whale heart is arguably the most soul-inspiring place to Find Yourself.

3. The Bucket Fountain—did you know that the bucket fountain is in fact the world’s best sculpture? It’s true! It is amazing. Kinetic, splashy, inspiring, so powerfully moving is this piece of art that many visitors swear they have been cured of disease, found love, and generally just woken up from the stupor that was their prior life and became successful and beautiful overnight.  Many have had their lives changed, and you can too. Conveniently situated in Cuba St, if you have never had a cathartic experience with art, the Bucket Fountain will change this, and change you.