February 22, 2015 | by  | in VUWSA |

Yarn With Zwaan

Kia ora!

I hope you have had a sweet summer. If you’re a new student, welcome to Vic (and to Wellington if you’re from out of town). For those returning, thanks for continuing to read Salient, and welcome back for another year. I’m Rick Zwaan and get to represent you as President of VUWSA—Your Students’ Association.

It’s the start of O-Week and our team have been flat out over summer organising an incredible lineup of events to kick off the year. O-Week is a great time to meet new people, find out more about the uni and explore the city before the assignments begin to pile up.

Check out facebook.com/VUWSA for all the latest updates on our events. A few highlights to keep an eye on—for the first time, we’ve teamed up with Homegrown and are sponsoring the free Locally Sourced stage on 6 March. Another first is a free bus between the halls and the Newtown Festival over 7-8 March. Alongside these are traditional events including the Toga Party (now sold out), as well as a bunch of other gigs at the Hunter Lounge.

Our team will also be around signing up new members and giving away free wall planners or diaries along with other goodies in our upgraded canvas O-Bags. Make sure you sign up—you get both free stuff and the opportunity to strengthen our independent student voice.

It’s VUWSA’s sweet 116th birthday this year, and since our inception we’ve continued to ensure Victoria students have an incredible time at Vic, are supported through their study and, most of all, have their voices listened to in the ivory towers of decision-making. We think students deserve a say in their class, their university and their lives as students in Wellington.

We care about the small things like whether or not your lecturer forgot to turn up to class, or if you’ve developed a diet consisting solely of two-minute noodles for the past three months. But we also care about the big issues, like introducing tertiary fares on public transport, pushing for policy change to ensure that you’re living in a safe and warm flat, and that you’re receiving a quality education while not drowning in debt.

1