March 1, 2015 | by  | in Theatre |

28 Days: A Period Piece

Discharge is a troupe of female comedians who have been bringing us socially aware, and hilarious, theatre since 2012. They’ve had some massive successes over the last couple of years with shows such as What Is This, Women’s Hour? and Benedict Cumberbatch Must Die. There latest show 28 Days: A Period Piece continues their grand tradition of hilarious and poignant comedy.

Written by Discharge member Abby Howells, the show follows a bunch of actors preparing a show about periods that they are to tour around high schools. However, the show they have prepared is written by the men on the Board of Directors and so completely misses the point and perspective that these ladies should have about “The P”, as it is affectionately named. Each of the Discharge women presents a new song which demonstrates their perspective on this most taboo of topics.

The issues the show deals with are many and often poignant, but as enlightening as the show is, the message is secondary to the pure entertainment that the hilarious hijinks bring. What makes the show so alive is the different style that each of the characters brings, from Rosie Howells’ rapping badassery to Kate Schrader’s crooning cabaret.

The energy and joy that Discharge brings to their performances is infectious, and when combined with Howells’ stellar writing and the superb direction of Caitlin McNaughton, it creates truly unique and thoroughly enjoyable theatre. Discharge has one more dynamite show under its belt.

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t